S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Randy
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I'm getting ready to order my High mount A/C kit from holley. I was originally going to use the kit # 20-137 that has the Sanden SD508 compressor. it is on B/O until the end of the month. this set up has 18" passenger side spacing. meaning from center of the motor to outside edge of the A/C compressor is 18".

I don't plan to rev the motor past 5800 rpm's (im going to set the rev limiter to 5800 rpms)

the Holley kit 20-136 hat has the R-4 compressor is available now and it has a 16.5" passenger side spacing. I would gain 1.5" passenger side spacing...

What do ya'll think???

·
Been there Done it
11,465 Posts
I'm running an R4 from a 91 Camaro on an ebay bracket. You don't need a big A/C system to cool a pickup cab. The R4 with the bigger pulley can handle 5800. I also found that a 94 S10 compressor hose set bolts right on. Only problem I ran into there was I had to find an original 94 4.3 hose set. The modern replacements are all thinner walled and installed as originally in the 94 they kinked because one of the hoses makes a pretty sharp turn. Saved having custom hoses made for a Sanden.
My 94 S10 was still running the original R4 16 years after I swapped in a SBC. Never ever had it serviced. Just swung it out of the way when pulling the 4.3 and bolted it onto the 350 w/o ever needing a charge. Those hoses were recovered from the JY and are what's on my 6.0 now.

Reactions: Tranzman

·
Randy
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if can do it, the factory LS ac compressor fits in the stock location, you do have to notch the frame a bit, but thats an option?
I thought about that but i'm not much of a fabricator. I also need all the accessory brackets and accessories because I started with a shortblock rather than a complete take out engine.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I thought about that but i'm not much of a fabricator. I also need all the accessory brackets and accessories because I started with a shortblock rather than a complete take out engine.
you dont really need to be a fabricator to do it. But if you need all brackets, that might be the easy choice to go aftermarket. personally i like all factory stuff, proven to work for millions of miles.

·
Randy
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you dont really need to be a fabricator to do it. But if you need all brackets, that might be the easy choice to go aftermarket. personally i like all factory stuff, proven to work for millions of miles.
Believe it or not I'm told that the drivers side bracket is a recast GM vette bracket and the passenger side is a slightly modified and recast GEN II A/C bracket. Yes Ineed all brackets, bolts, pulleys, A/C compressor, P/S Pump, Alternator & etc. It's far easier to buy them as the kit than to hunt them down.

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
97 Posts
Be carful to check if the brackets you are buying match your water pump. I find that a lot of the setups for accessories, are made for long water pumps.

·
Been there Done it
11,465 Posts
Good point. My ebay R4 bracket is for the long water pump style only. Holley does offer R4 brackets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts