S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace the old carb on my '84 2.8 with a new Holley. Does anyone know the correct replacement part# (if there is one)

Thanks,

Mat Powell

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Don't know the number for a Holley brand carb, but a remanufactured Rochester by Holley can be found here: http://www.holley.com/Reman/index.html
I have a reman Roch by Holley and it's doing okay....still a quadrajunk though.
If no one else has the number, I would shoot Holley an email. They're really good about getting back quickly with an answer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Holley does not make a replacement carb for the Rochester. What I did was modify a spacer plate and my manifold and mounted a 350 cfm Holley sideways on it to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool...thnx for the info.
I was looking on ebay and came across a resonably priced weber carb. What would be the best replacement carb to go with?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Four Barrell vs. two barrell

You only think you need a two barrell. Seriously, if you are just using low rpms you are right, but if you want to go fast, the 4 barrell is your ticket :gunfire:

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Yeah, but he'd have to change the intake manifold to get that one on there. In that case, go with the edelbrock two-piece intake and a hotter ignition......

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree. The MSD ignition and coil, with the Edelbrock Performance (Torker II) 2-piece intake is the way I am going with some help on the exhaust side. You can get conversion pieces to go to 4 barrell, but the properly designed intake is better. :flame:

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Arns, I did a search on the MSD ignition box (I was thinking of getting one to compliment my ignition coil) a while back and found that a lot of the ones installed began to burn out. The result was the people having to buy new ones. I forget the reason behind it, but might want to do the search as well. Heh, heh, now that I took out my catalytic converter, I should install a spark plug in the exhaust to do like the smiley above does.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is an alternative to running the Holley which is more cost effective and better performance. Weber makes a 2bbl carb that graphs on perfectly for alot less than the Holley carb. The kit is Weber PK490. Comes with a 38 DGES carb and all the air cleaner upgrades and parts for $450. I plan on running it with the Edelbrock intake, Tubular headers, MSD Offroad 6 ignition with HEI coil, using the 3.4 GM performance motor in a 4wd '85 S10 Blazer project I'm building. Quote from an Edelbrock tech. was over 210hp and 260torque which was my guess for the combo. Need to get a dyno when I'm completely done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When we installed my MSD ignition, we got it away from the heat and put rubber spacers under the screw holes to give it air all round. I believe that heat is the culprit on most of those ignition burnouts. Mine has been working great.

JayBlair77's engine sounds really sweet. I wish I had it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to end up using a weber carb. I'm not concerned with HP or going fast...I just want better gas mileage. I've got plenty of other toys to cure the got fast bug :). Thanks for all of the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts