S-10 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
Don't forget the 21-1.
That's for Holley and one of the reasons I'm going with Speedway Motors brackets.
Seems everything on the Holley site requires additional parts for more money.
Haven't ordered yet because I'm having an issue with the fact you can't buy a Sanden 508 with a 6 groove pulley.
7 or 8 are available, but none of the bracket companies address this issue.
Thinking now of going with Holley and the old R4 compressor. I'm only cooling a std cab in the upper midwest. Will also be able to use stock 94 A/C lines. Saves having new ones made.

·
Administrator
21,791 Posts
That's for Holley and one of the reasons I'm going with Speedway Motors brackets.
Haven't ordered yet because I'm having an issue with the fact you can't buy a Sanden 508 with a 6 groove pulley.
Thinking now of going with Holley and the old R4 compressor. I'm only cooling a std cab in the upper midwest. Will also be able to use stock 94 A/C lines. Saves having new ones made.
I mis-understood...I thought you were going with the Holley.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,764 Posts
Yup ran into this issue myself... I run a 7 groove, the belt doesn't seem to care :).

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,764 Posts
Thank you for these comments. It made up my mind.
If someone with a Procharger was have belt slipping issues, then it will more than likely be fine on a stock LQ9. Supercharged engines have very quick throttle response due to the increased atmospheric pressure. On the other side Turbos wind fairly high and I could see potential problems there as well. Makes me think NA should be fine. Especially since I'm old, it'll rarely see 5K. I'm after that initial kick in the butt.
I'm ordering the brackets today. Will let everyone know how they work out.
I hear ya, on the street I don't think I've gone past 5, both because there's no need to, and second even with caltracs if I put it to the floor in 1st 2nd or 3rd the tires just light up anyway and Im a poor schmuck that doesn't like buying lots of sets of tires... Just bought winters for my daily, and my wifes, and my daily needs new summers next year... tires aint cheap :( The BFG's on the S10 now are goin on 7 years old, though a couple years were in storage and the truck was in pieces. Actually want to downsize my s10 rims... maybe some day.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. Not sure how the price of the individual Corvette Accessories compares to what Holley is offering, but in reality they're selling GM parts with Holley labels on them 🤣

Might be able to pair the factory bracket with something from Holley, Speedway, etc. for the A/C. Install that with a Corvette length water pump and damper, measure for the belt and you'll be on the road.

·
Randy
278 Posts
Somebody explain to me what would be wrong with simply using a 97-04 Corvette OEM bracket on the drivers side?
It appears to high enough and compact. Available all over for $75. Then deal with a mount for the A/C.

View attachment 336118
That's what I thought about as well. Still would have to find bolts to mount it. Gave up on that idea and decided Holley all the way. At least all there stuff is made as a system. The AC box is made for the mounts and the crossmember is set up for the mounts. I don't fabricate squat, so...
In computer land, I sold my soul to Microsoft years ago. Holley may as well get the rest of it!!! LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Somebody explain to me what would be wrong with simply using a 97-04 Corvette OEM bracket on the drivers side?
It appears to high enough and compact. Available all over for $75. Then deal with a mount for the A/C.
The Chevrolet Performance accessory drive kit is basically that. They sell the LS2 accessory drive (so, newer than '04, but same idea) with the alternator, power steering pump and reservoir as a kit. That's what I used, then added Holley's AC bracket, a water pump, and a harmonic balancer.

They even sell the truck accessory drive (without AC) as a kit.

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. Not sure how the price of the individual Corvette Accessories compares to what Holley is offering, but in reality they're selling GM parts with Holley labels on them 🤣

Might be able to pair the factory bracket with something from Holley, Speedway, etc. for the A/C. Install that with a Corvette length water pump and damper, measure for the belt and you'll be on the road.
Oh, the Corvette PS pump is insanely expensive, if you go with OEM, but isn't that what Holley also uses. There are a bunch of alternatives going anywhere down to 1/8 the price of OEM. But who do you want to trust? I guess warranty would matter.

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
The Chevrolet Performance accessory drive kit is basically that. They sell the LS2 accessory drive (so, newer than '04, but same idea) with the alternator, power steering pump and reservoir as a kit. That's what I used, then added Holley's AC bracket, a water pump, and a harmonic balancer.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That's what I thought about as well. Still would have to find bolts to mount it.
I'm pretty sure all the accessory brackets use the same bolts/length. Can probably go to the junkyard and grab bolts off a truck 5.3 and use those with the Corvette Accessory brackets if your engine didn't come with them already.

Those aren't all that much differently priced than the Holley kits. Makes me wonder more if Holley is just reselling GM parts. 🤣

Oh, the Corvette PS pump is insanely expensive, if you go with OEM, but isn't that what Holley also uses. There are a bunch of alternatives going anywhere down to 1/8 the price of OEM. But who do you want to trust? I guess warranty would matter.
That's why I've stuck with truck engines that included the accessories already. Not optimal for space, but there is enough even if barely to make it work. I basically did the 5.3 swap for the cost of a Holley Acessory kit!

But the more options available and learning how to piece them together can have some great results even if you spend a bit more on the compact accessories. I like the direction you're thinking about the accessories.

·
Randy
278 Posts
Found GM P/S-Alt. bracket part # 12578067 for corvette's on Summits web site for $63.99. it's part of the GM High mount LS3 drive system

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
That's why I've stuck with truck engines that included the accessories already. Not optimal for space, but there is enough even if barely to make it work. I basically did the 5.3 swap for the cost of a Holley Acessory kit!

But the more options available and learning how to piece them together can have some great results even if you spend a bit more on the compact accessories. I like the direction you're thinking about the accessories.
I'm starting to think along those lines myself. I think we're putting the cart in front of the horse. I'm going to test fit the engine with the trans in it's original mount and see if all this is really necessary.
My last swap was a SBC into a ZR2 with a really fat ECP radiator and with a bit of support trimming got it in there with 1/4" to spare. Including working A/C.
The LS truck motor can't be that much longer. I also have no issue with notching the frame. Or spending a couple bills to move the compressor up.
I'd gladly build a whole new rad support before dropping $2k.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
and then theres the electric water pump and power steering.
Those power steering conversions to electric are pretty attractive too.
I imagine someday they will use a servo powered rack and the only
connection to the steering column will be a few wires.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
No I wanna go out blowing a fuse.
Many years ago I told the other half when she reached 40,I was gonna trade her in on 2 -20s
She replied"Youre not wired for 2-20,youll blow a fuse."
Its a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

·
Randy
278 Posts
No I wanna go out blowing a fuse.
Many years ago I told the other half when she reached 40,I was gonna trade her in on 2 -20s
She replied"Youre not wired for 2-20,youll blow a fuse."
Its a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
I feel your pain, My wifes brain works at 2X lightspeed too. I never stand a chance.

·
Administrator
21,791 Posts
It's a genetic thing. I was having a spirited conversation with my 13 year old granddaughter. Just when I thought I was winning, she put her hands on her hips and said...Papa Rick...the ocean called. They want their salt back...I've been defeated...:oops:

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
Well I finally decided and ordered my A/C bracket for the LQ9. Guess being both cheap and persistent and some what patient pays. Found a bracket on of all places, eBay. From a company named faxautoparts. They offer 2 different models. The only difference in the bracket is the decorative holes. I bought the round ones. They also offer square ones. They have sold close to 400 of both styles with no complaints.
What I liked about them was the thickness of the brackets. The front one is 1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum. The rear is 1" thick. Doubt they'll crack or wobble. It would be easy to add a brace from the back of the compressor to the head if desired.
Price was $139.50 delivered. Nothing else to buy. Uses readily available R4 94 era compressor. No need for special lines. Just get a pair off a 94 Vin Z.
I do also have to buy a GATES 38163 {#04854089A, 4854089AB} DriveAlign Premium OE Automatic Belt Tensioner. It's a 00 Wrangler 4.0 tensioner. And a 89 G30 Van 454 w/ A/C belt. GATES K061037 Premium OE Micro-V Belt .
Total of $38 for both from Rockauto. -5%
No need to notch the frame and I'll have under $400 in it with a new compressor.
After spending many hours reading and analyzing costs I came to the conclusion I could save $2000 by simply recessing my radiator. Been done many times. I've done it on numerous SBC swaps. It's a slow trial and error process, but time I got. I can better use that $2K on the trans and rearend.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts