S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last couple days dropping my 04 LQ9 with an 03 4L80E attached into my 99 2wd RCSB.
What a PITA.
Holley should have tapered the front of that pan.
Of the dozens of S10's I've owned most were 4wd because of the climate here in the Frozen Tundra. This is only my 2nd 2wd. The first one I swapped in a SBC with attached 2004R in with the original engine oil pan. No big deal.
On this LS swap I ended up having to raise the body off the frame to get them in together.
If I didn't have a 2 post hoist I don't know what I'd have done.
4wd swaps always have use a different oil pan because of the front differentials location. But at least you don't have to deal with that fat crossmember.
Got about a 1/2" clearance to that *%!# crossmember with the engine all the way back as far as the mounts would adjust. Big surprise was the stock driveshaft will fit once I swap out the front U-joint for the bigger 4L80E yoke.
While the body was up in the air it was easier to do the Corvette fuel filter mod and I revamped the AC housing with some tin and pop rivets. Sealed it up with GM seam sealer. The same stuff the factory uses on the floor inside to seal the spot welded seams. Maybe not a purdy as the Holley part, but the OEM seal on the case worked good. I hear the Holley seal isn't the best. Price was right.
Seems all the Holley parts I did buy ended up needing some mods to fit or work right.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Seems all the Holley parts I did buy ended up needing some mods to fit or work right.
That's been my experience too. Although the pan was one of the easier "fixes" haha I made a Holley bitch list on the white board just to help me vent about all the little things they missed.

·
Horsepower Addict
107 Posts
Had the same problem... moved the engine back & it cleared until I tried to make the headers fit, then ended up moving it back forward.

I ground the frame slightly as well as the corners of the pan for clearance.
Not sure why they don't round the corners more to improve fitment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same here. I had to jack the cab up about 6” to get it in as one unit. Engine as far back as it’ll go and still barely any clearance.

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What mounts are you using?
I would only use the best mounts money can buy! Very little money that is. Paid $51.50 for these babies.

They look just like all the rest and fit fine. I'm sure they're copies of some brand name ones. For lower 2.8 mounts I just used a pair I had laying around from a truck I junked. Suppose I could have gone to Rockauto and spent $7 on a new pair.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,891 Posts
Eh, I notched my cross member about an inch deep full width across and boxed it in and I raised the front of the cab 2" to make it possible to get mine in, with the cab pulled all the way back on the loosened body mounts. I've often said that the holley pan may require notching or w/e but people have told me I am crazy and it fits just fine. Glad to know I am not crazy haha.

At least you got it in!

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically everyone who has actually used the 302-1 pan agrees that although it works on an S10 it obviously wasn't made specifically for one.

Reactions: Jaboc33

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So basically everyone who has actually used the 302-1 pan agrees that although it works on an S10 it obviously wasn't made specifically for one.
I feel that way about many of their parts. I appreciate the effort they did put into it - it's one of very few complete options on the market - but I also feel like they missed a bunch of little details that makes it a true drop in parts list that can claim the best engineered title they use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts