S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was thinking, my 4.3 is nice and all but just can't keep up in the upper powerband range so an engine swap was my first thought, A v8 swap is kinda out of the question considering my status of college student and price is definately a factor soooooooo I was thinking, is there anyway to swap in a Supercharged 3.8 from a GTP?!? Has anyone even tried this? Would it bolt up to a T35? How much would this cost if it is even possible?!? If that won't work is it possible to squeeze a Vortec 7.4 in a Blazer????? let me know what you guys think, I know I sound crazy but realistically all I want to do is go fast and do it cheap!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
You think that's a weird idea? I'd seriously like to put a 20b rotary engine in my S10. :D

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
I'm no expert....but

Isn't the 3.8 a sideways engine. Check the chevy high performance web page cause they might just make a bell housing that would adapt it to a front ways vehicle. (I know that chrysler did this for its 2.2L) If this is the case then it would be just a matter of hooking up all the electronics (try to get them with the engine) and fabing up some motor mounts.

It would make for a fast and great looking truck! If you decided to do it please take lots of pictures so we can all follow along with you!!

Good Luck

Rick!

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
LowandBlazed said:
Ok, so I was thinking, my 4.3 is nice and all but just can't keep up in the upper powerband range so an engine swap was my first thought, A v8 swap is kinda out of the question considering my status of college student and price is definately a factor soooooooo I was thinking, is there anyway to swap in a Supercharged 3.8 from a GTP?!? Has anyone even tried this? Would it bolt up to a T35? How much would this cost if it is even possible?!? If that won't work is it possible to squeeze a Vortec 7.4 in a Blazer????? let me know what you guys think, I know I sound crazy but realistically all I want to do is go fast and do it cheap!
A 7.4?? I thought that you said a v8 swap is out of the question??
3.8?? Gee... Come on let's think about this for a sec. A 350 swap would be cheaper and easier than doing either a 3.8 or a 7.4

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ya i'd recommend a 350 swap the rot rod guys in my town seem to love doing that and i'm sure it would be less labor involved....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'd really like to do a 3.8 swap but if I can't do that and I decide to go the V8 route I figure might as well go balls to the wall and get a 7.4L. What kind of tranny would I need for a 7.4? Can I transverse mount the 3.8? Would a T35 hold up to a 3.8?

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
7.4L?..whats that engine in anyway?...i'm no mechanic but that isnt chevy is it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
7.4L = 454ci = Down with the Sickness!

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ohhhh the old ss tahoes had those and i've seen a couple full size with that......that would be stupid fast....

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
7.4 l is actually a 502. Which technically is a 454. Dude...Good luck. Make sure you have a nice plasma cutter, welding setup, about 6 months worth of free time, the determination and engineering background and about 15-20k by the time your done....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, well I would really love to do a 7.4 but if I'm going to need to start cutting **** then that is out of the question. What is the largest displacement I can put in? 6.0? 6.6? or should I just wait for the turbo for the 4.3? What is the expected price on the turbo??

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
350 Block, 400 crank....383 Chevy easily run all day on pump gas putting solid 400+ ponies to the ground. I know I owned one. 383 in a 72 Nova SS. 481 Hp @ 6400 Rpm 422 Lb/ft torque at 2950. 644Hp on 150 shot. ran an 11.99 w/o juice only run on bottle was a 1106 @ 129 MPH. Drove it almost every day. 10 MPG killed. lol. Truck will be Borderline tractionable and everything is made for it already. Christ its a bolt in. lol seriously

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
just wait and see how much of a gain the turbo is going to give you on the 4.3 probably cheaper then both those options and look alot better in the engine bay, imo the turbo is gonna be one sweet upgrade

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
make sure your transmission can support the extra power produced by the turbo....i'm sure the people you buy it from will know....

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
There's no substitute for cubic inches. Besides, who wants to have a whistlin' rice wannabe. Turbo's are for 4's. Don't get me wrong a turbo kit would be nice but than you have to worry about timing, detonation, they run like **** when its hot out, really should run a turbo timer, premium fuel becuase of cylinder pressures, really should run an intercooler...yada yada yada....Besides, done right, the V-8 Swap looks factory..

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i wouldnt really say turbos are for 4 but a v8 would be sweet cept gas mileage would stick.....remember the syclones and typhoons....they were turbo charged 4.3's and they rolled out.....of course they were also all wheel drive.....

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
No doubt they were fast but they also had factory backing for optimum fuel maps, timing maps, etc. They were done RIGHT. I have yet to see an aftermarket product that has approached a factory install except for maybe paxton SC or Vortech SC. Oh well. After warranty is up in goes the 1970 LT1 I have waitin in storage...Should be sweet

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
7.4 and 5.7 swaps would be about the same and cost the same however b4 that lok at the hp and toque bands on the 7.4s compared to the 5.7 a stock 5.7 will walk off from a stock 454 seen it too many times, as a matter of a fact i know of 24 people in this town ALONE that have went in and had their 454s swapped for 350s at the GM dealer ship here 454s and bad engines yes but the latemodel smog and cpus cut them back BIG time

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Very true fast...Besides that who wants more weight on the front of a vehicle that is already nose heavy. I cant wait to do mine. I have had this motor for 6 years now. Was rebuilt 2 years ago, dynoed and put into storage. Cant find paper with exact figures but it was in the neighborhood of 380 horse. The sweet part was 400+ lb/ft torque. Only big block worth anything right now is the Marine Block 502. Yes they will share engine mounts but doubt the BB would fit without major sheetmetal work.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
that will be sweet.........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts