S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
your opinion sucks
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Hobart Beta Mig 170. The wire feed speed control is messed up. It runs on full blast only. Was wondering if anyone had on of these welders laying around that no longer works, but would like to sell some parts.
Need the wire feed/voltage control switch. Possibly wire feed motor.

While I realize this is not the wanted classifieds, I sure more welders will be looking in here.

Thanks, casey53.

·
your opinion sucks
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take the handle apart..your lil spring thingy is stuck in the trigger..had the same prblem with mine

Wire feed shuts off ok, just when the trigger is pulled it runs 100mph.:haha:

·
your opinion sucks
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
local welder supply shop should be able to order the part. that or contact hobart. part shouldnt cost much.
Trigger is ok. Replaced the potentiometer hoping that was it. it wasn't. looks to be in the control board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have one of those and the fix for your problem.

On the main circuit board is a heat sink, there are three transistors on it.

Replace the two with three legs.

I got the parts from digikey, it cost about 15 dollars for 5 each of them in 2004.

I just replaced them again last week because it did it again.

And it works like a charm. Tape the spares inside the machine in the static safe bag they come in and you are good to go again next time it happens.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have one of those and the fix for your problem.

On the main circuit board is a heat sink, there are three transistors on it.

Replace the two with three legs.

I got the parts from digikey, it cost about 15 dollars for 5 each of them in 2004.

I just replaced them again last week because it did it again.

And it works like a charm. Tape the spares inside the machine in the static safe bag they come in and you are good to go again next time it happens.

Good Luck.
THANK YOU! Six years after the answer my tried and true Beta Mig developed this problem. Parts are now obsolete..... This was just what I needed to get my welder back in working order. Again thanks.

Eric.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear Hobart Beta Mig 200 owners:
I bought mine some years back and had problems with the wire feeding having to pull out the jammed up wire and re-feeding it. I was throwing away more wire than I was using while welding. When I decided to take off the entire torch w/cable I discovered the smallest kink in the liner. After calling all over and being told that the torch was only used for a year and a half and it was no longer available I moved on since I also had a 140 NAPA Mig. Except it did weld up, when I first got it, a 40+ ton wood splitter all of scrapyard heavy steel and parts that never has failed or loosened up. Since, I purchased a 200 amp stick welder, plasma cutter and TIG machine all which use consumables I found a vendor who really knows his stuff who asked me to send him a few photos with measurements. Now I have the entire mechanizm apart with an extra torch setup up I had on hand and realized if I moved the argon fitting a bit to the outside I could use pretty much any torch and liner I wanted. Bingo I'm back in business with my Hobart Beta 200. Who Knew!! Thank you for the component info. I'll be sure to be prepared.
Gordie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts