S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm reading all this stuff about a HO 4.3. So, who has it, and who doesn't?....I mean which trucks. I have an xtreme with the 4.3. Is there a vin code or some other way to tell if I have one? Also, whats the difference between the two motors. In other words what makes it HO???

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh...so I need to check for a Y-pipe? Is there a certain vin letter or something that I can look for?:(

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
I think the only noticable difference in the HO engines were with the CPI engines versus the TBI engines... That basically means that this engine era was before the extremes... Now the SS fits into the catagory. I dont think there was much difference in the SS of the newer models, just suspension, badges ect... Saw an SS and an LS, around 99 style go head to head... SS won slightly but that was due to rear end gears. Both automatics

·
Registered
726 Posts
in the 96-up trucks
there is NO DIFFERENCE in the Y-pipe when the only difference between 2 trucks is one is x and one is a w vin
all 2wd auto's have the same size y-pipe
and all 2wd 5spd have a narrower y-pipe
4x4's have a bigger y-pipe
but
for instance
a 99 2wd auto with X vin and a 99 2wd auto with the W vin will have an identical sized Y-pipe

supposedly the only difference in X and W engines is the tuning inside the computer
there is no physical difference between the 2 engines

so in theory you could go to a junk yard and buy a computer for a truck that is the same year as yours and has exactly the same equipment and options as yours but has the HO engine and your engine will then run like a Ho 4.3

·
Registered
619 Posts
My step father has a 98 1/2 ton ext cab 4x4 5-speed with a 4.3 in it, bone stock. Now Ive driven a ton of s10s over the years and none of their motors will touch this one off the lot. Its definitly all computer and I plan on figuring out what all the settings are because its unbelievable. With that said, I am very convinced that the s10 motors are tuned milder to get better gas mileage and drive more grandfatherish. Any way, if you could get an ecm burned with a those settings and get your shift points right you could do some serious damage with a stock motor.

As per the programmers...
I dont know their limitations but I doubt you have full control over all computer settings. However if you guys can control every setting, ide find out the full size setting because I honestly dont think you can get any more hp out of the motor than what it makes

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think you could get more out of the full size also, im sure they dont have it set for its maximum potental (less agressive for smoother ride and better gas milage)

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i raced a 2003 full size regular cab 4.3 silverado and ate it alive and i was stock too

·
zippy
733 Posts
in the earlier one's there was an injection difference along with exhaust, heads, cam, etc. the newer one's used a different cam and programming. for the 96 and newer, i believe the best you could do was 180hp in the 2wd and 190hp in the 4wd and i think the base was 20hp less on each. i have the broshures sitting around, i can check.

·
Registered
619 Posts
xxosiris9xx said:
i raced a 2003 full size regular cab 4.3 silverado and ate it alive and i was stock too
Im glad for you... i really am..... too bad i was referring to the motor itself. I would never compare them truck to truck, the weight difference is alot different. My point was that the motor has a much more lively power curve and would be alot more aggressive than any of the s10 4.3s ive been in.

as for getting much more out of the fullsize, i doubt you would get a large increase... and any real increases would throw you over the point where large decreases in fuel mileage, reliability, and other losses would begin to hurt other charactoristics of the curve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh...ok...thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts