S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this yesterday and did the mod for myself today. I would def. recommend it to anyone not wanting to spend the money on a whole new intake. Here is the link. The K&N filter was only $45. It also adds a lil meaner sound. Hope this will help someone out. Later all.

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
I did something similar but instead of cutting the bottom out of the box I removed the stock inlet pipe, made the inlet hole bigger and used a larger piece of 5" abs pipe in it's place.
The I removed the head light and made the hole in the rad support to match it. Then sealed it off with foam take and hot glued the ABS pip into place.
true cold air intake for $5 and it looks 100% completely stock

·
White Shark
63 Posts
Ok I like the way HanryJ did his and I wounldn't mind doing something like that, but there is one thing that concerns me and that is this lovly snow that we just got in Omaha, NE. With doing a Intake mod like this has anyone had a problem with water getting in there and messing up the filter? Any one has an answer I would like to hear it. Like I said I like HenryJ's the most. Thanks in advance.

Eddie

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts
emurphyjr said:
... has anyone had a problem with water getting in there and messing up the filter?...
I ran with the modded airbox for 1.5 years with no problems.
During service of the aircleaner , at times you could see that a little (very little) water had been in the bottom of the box (the box does have drain holes). Never enough to consern me, and never enough, or did I find a wet filter.Id guess that the headlight assembly and grille deflect enough rain to help the situation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did the same mod as HenryJ, just cut off the front of my air box with a K&N drop in filter. Back in 1999 was driving around the back of a building in a really bad rain storm (the storm was the remains of a huricane that started in FLA. and finished in the northeast), I didnt realize that the road dipped down, just looked like a 3 inch puddle. Nope try water up to my f***ing knees, well when I went in because my truck is low the lower valance acted like a scoop and rolled the water up onto my hood. All the idiot lights came on and my truck died, went to restart it and the starter made the most awfull noise Ive ever heard. Then the water started seeping in under the door and I knew exactly what happened. Hydrolocked the motor. Called a towtruck and brought it home, next day brought it to the dealer. Come to find out my insurance covers natural disasters and they covered the 5800.00 bill, because the water destroyed every sensor it touched(maf,iat,tps,iac) and the computer. All I paid was the 200.00 deductable. I still have that setup, Im not dissing it or telling any one not to do it, Im just really carefull around water. And if you do it to a low or lowered truck dont make my mistake.

·
White Shark
63 Posts
Hey SS-Dime did the insurance companey say anything about the mod to the airbox or did they not even know about it? Well I will be carefull with water after hearing about that but my truck isn't lowered so hopefully that wont happen to me. Thabks for the info HenryJ and SS-Dime.

Eddie

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
Clarkbar said:
It may be old but for a newbie like me its good reading.
Welcome n00b. :D

·
Registered
11,005 Posts

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts
woodshop98 said:
What exactly is that belting stuff, and where can I get it?
I think it was Military Surplus Gasket material? I had a large roll of the stuff. Used it for many projects. works great for gap guards after a bodylift too.

I'll have to do some looking around for an outlet.

It is 1/8" thick black rubber both sides with a woven reinforcement in the middle. I would call it belting, but it was in a 50" wide roll. So , maybe sheeted belting?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I took the box out and told the dealer that I took it out to dry it out cause it was full of water. And when they needed it to finish up the truck I borrowed one that was whole from a friend that installed an aftermarket intake. They never knew the difference.
Now I have a motor, sensors, computer with 20,000 less miles than I have on the truck. All that for 15 pints of water that they drained out of the old motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts