S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, while i was at the dealership yesterday i asked one of the technician guys what exactly would higher octane do to my truck in terms of performance or mpg. he said absolutely nothing. he said that the 2.2s and even some v8s dont have the compression to do anything with the higher octane so i would pretty much be spending more money on nothing...he said 87 octane would be adequate(spelling???) wtf??? is he talking out his arse or what?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
no i don't think he is wrong on that, i've from other ppl that the gas would make that much of a diff. to even spend more money of the gas. and to me thats good news living in Cali cuz i'm not going to spend almost 2 dollars a gallon just so it burns hotter....no thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think it depends on where u live out here in cali we got this crappy oxgenated gas which when running 92 i dont notice a difference unless im runnin on the bottle....in general though and this have even been written in certian magazines Hot Rod i think did one on this specifiaclly most vehciles dont get any hp gains from higher octane because of modern day ignition systems which give u the best possible spark so ure mpg is at its peak, and because of the way engines are built they actually produce better hp with the loweroctane because consumerslook for more efficency by todays standards thanthey did back in the 60's and 70's when the all mighty musclecars rulled the streets....hopefully that made some sense :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
93 octane does not add horsepower unless you have the chip which plays with the settings of the computer and will make the truck run poorly (knocking ) if not used. Otherwise the only reason to use it is to keep the intake and injectors clean it has special cleaning agents. I recommend using 89 octane(unless you have the chip, turbo, supercharger, NOS) this has some cleaning agents because the pump mixes 87 with 93 to form 89. Also, if you get gas that has been in the tanks to long it will actually start to lose octane so this way you are assured that you are not using to low of an octane. ALso, you should switch brands different brands have different cleaning agents. I personally only use (Shell, EXXON, Phillip 66, and Amoco gasoline).

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just out of curiousityy, what do you guys think about sheetz gas? i noticed that if i use it, my truck runs like shi*. has it done the same for any of you guys? oh yea, thanks for the pm trevans:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I use cheap ass 87, runs just fine. I've run 93 a few times and the only difference I noticed was slightly better gas mileage. Didn't outweigh the price though. Unless your sh!t's turbocharged, I'd stick with the cheap stuff.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Wooo 12 cents a gallon for a smooth running performing truck.. If Ya cant swing the $1.50 difference......lol

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
02redx if you dont mind can u give me a link and or some info on the HPPIII.....pm me if you dont want to change topic....thanks

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Cyn, jump on over to the hypertek site. Just do a search for hypertek and follow the links...Any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
on 90% of the computer controled cars 87 octane is all you need to run..you would infact be wasting $$$ with higher octane... your comp. is programed to run best on 87...if you reprogram your comp...then go to higher octane...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.