S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have 91000 miles on my ride and the fuel pump goes out, I have it replaced by a dealer and about 3 weeks later the truck starts to develope a drop in power at about(I don't have a tach) 4000rpm. The truck doesn't pop or miss it just seems as soon as it hits a higher rpm it goes flat on the power. I did have a hard starting problem, just turned over fast with no fire it seemed, but I found a cracked line going from the manifold to the gas tank vapor canister under the hood. I fixed that and the truck starts right up but has the problem at high rpm. Could it be the coils?? wires(only 15000 on a Bosch set)?? I put in new plugs and O2 sensor but the SES light is still on(even after trying to clear it by pullin' the ECM fuse) I don't want to take it back to the dealer and get reamed,I want to fix it myself. Has anyone had a simlar problem?? Where can I get a OBDII scan tool for cheap?? I'm sorry for the long post, but I all most sold the old girl and bought a 2003 Ford Edge this week and decided I like my truck too much to get rid of it now(not to mention the $350 payments for a new truck). Help...Please...:bowdown:

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
those are awfully big tires for that 4 cylinder to turn...could that be the problem?

How long has it had a problem with higher rpms?
Do you drive through alot of deep mud/water? - Might check your sparkplug wire connections for moisture. Especially near the coils. And if you dont already use it, use some dielectric greese between the connections to help keep out the water/moisture in the future.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not the tires, I've had them on for awhile and this problem just showed up. I did go in this weekend and replace the coil packs and wires($150 aarrggghh) Seems to be better and the SES light is off....for now, I'll wait a see if it goes back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts