S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Sonoma 4.3 Vortec extended cab 2wd. It's got around 240,XXX miles. I plan on reconditioning this truck considering it was a gift. Truck runs great other than the starter which I'm replacing this weekend. I was wondering, with this many miles what parts should I check and replace just to make sure it keeps kicking for another 100,000.
Recently replaced ;
Distributor cap/rotor.
Cat converter and cat back system
Tires
Brake pads
Oil

Plan on doing soon ;
Trans fluid
Coolant flush and cleaning
Bell tech 2/3 drop kit w/ drop 2 shocks
Fuel system flush and cleaning

What else could I do just to make sure everything's in tip top shape?

·
the new guy
905 Posts
if you have your owner's manual, there should be a list in the back that tells what things to do at what miles. brakes, fluids, the whole nine yards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you have your owner's manual, there should be a list in the back that tells what things to do at what miles. brakes, fluids, the whole nine yards
Yeah I figured so. I was just wondering what would be some things to check that go overlooked. Or things to look out for so It doesnt cause issues down the line. Not super experienced when it comes to mechanical repairs and maintenance. But this truck is essentially what I'm gonna teach myself with.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
Spark plugs/wires, fuel filter. Also, the whole front end should be checked. Ball joints, tie rods, idler/pitman arms, control arm bushings. Any or all of these could be bad/sloppy at 240,000 miles, especially if they've never been given any attention in the past. Check the U-joints on the driveshaft as well.

As far as the transmission fluid, it might be better to leave it alone... if the fluid has been properly maintained in the past then you should be ok. But if it hasn't been changed regularly and has been in there for a long time, it would be a good idea to leave it alone... it may be holding the transmission together.

Also, if you're going to service the cooling system, its a good time to replace the hoses and maybe the thermostat. Upper/lower radiator hose, heater hoses and bypass hose. Also check for coolant leaks, particularly around the intake as the intake gasket is a common failure point in the cooling system.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
Its a good vehicle to learn on. Lots of support online and lots of part availability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts