S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 96 s10 2.2, it has bout 190k miles on it. I was just wondering about how long these usually last for (like how many miles) . mine is completly stock n still runs strong. was just trying to get an idea of about how much they are good for. thanks

·
Currently Spoolin
1,448 Posts
yeah they are really reliable just take care of it...mine is at 110,xxx and I haven't had any major engine related replacements needed done yet. As far as I know, just the alternator has been replaced which I replaced myself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
so i have a 96 s10 2.2, it has bout 190k miles on it. I was just wondering about how long these usually last for (like how many miles) . mine is completly stock n still runs strong. was just trying to get an idea of about how much they are good for. thanks
I agree with everyone else on this one. If you keep it properly maintained, with no serious modes like turbo's and such, it can last for 250,000 +. What's also good is that these motors are very simple to work on and fix if needbee:) .

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
I agree with everyone else on this one. If you keep it properly maintained, with no serious modes like turbo's and such, it can last for 250,000 +. What's also good is that these motors are very simple to work on and fix if needbee:) .
yup and parts are cheap and everywhere:cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
depends, but as long you maintain on it as usual then 300k+, be sure not to do only engine but tranny, suspension, rear end as well

·
Registered
457 Posts
I maintained mine regularly and the oil pump went out on the freeway and lock the motor up. Some things just can't be help. The smallest thing can make the motor go. Only 113k miles on the truck.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i have over 196k on my 01 2.2. i put a valve cvr gskt on it at around 165k or so. rebuilt trans about same mileage. prev owner let rear get low and cooked bearings, so bought a 40k mile j/y rear. it has a slight rear main leak but runs great. i am hoping to get 250k before i swap to a ls1 or so.

·
Slow as hell
21 Posts
I have 250k on my 99 and it's still running like a top. I change the oil regularly and have changed the tranny and rear fluid as well. Things might break (alternator, exhaust manifold cracks, ignition module) but the longblocks are pretty robust.

Oh and Check the radiator for the dexcool crap it likes to cause problems!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I got a little over 150k and have had to do nothing to mine. Which is surprising because I like to drive mine a little bit harder than I should, but so far nothing has gone wrong

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have 250k on my 99 and it's still running like a top. I change the oil regularly and have changed the tranny and rear fluid as well. Things might break (alternator, exhaust manifold cracks, ignition module) but the longblocks are pretty robust.

Oh and Check the radiator for the dexcool crap it likes to cause problems!
X2, I changed mine out to the green sh*t.

·
Registered
7 Posts
241k miles on my '99.... Also never changed the coolant in it. Since it's been so long it may be a bad idea to change it now?

A coworker has a '95 with 177k miles and his timing chain just broke, bent the valves and cracked the head.

·
Registered
44 Posts
241k miles on my '99.... Also never changed the coolant in it. Since it's been so long it may be a bad idea to change it now?
nope! Great idea. Drain & fill at a minimum, flush might even be a good idea.

A coworker has a '95 with 177k miles and his timing chain just broke, bent the valves and cracked the head.
Brother-in-law blew up his cavalier at 198k or so with timing chain issues. It was rattling for 1000s of miles though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
that scares me..

I know its a common problem on these trucks and mine makes the noise. I just wonder how long its going to last???:eek:

I have 165K now, and only replaced my alt, water pump, rad and the basics so far. Guess I will just cross my fingers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts