S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some tuning on my LS1/T56 Sonoma with HPTuners. I am seeing 145+ degrees F on the IAT sensor. The elbow, MAF, and piping to airfilter are less than .5" from the radiator core. Has anyone run in to the heat soaking issue? If so how did you combat it?

I thought about getting some header wrap on but I know it will look like A$$ so I am hesitant on wrapping everything.

As we know the PCM pulls a good amount of timing above 100 degree AIT.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Sounds about right. The IAT temps are pretty high even on my 4.3. I have a FIPK with the blocking wall too. I rediced the IAT a little by cutting out an opening behind the headlamp and then cutting the deflector between the headlamp and grille area. My IAT temps dropped a little. Mostly when moving of course. I also plan on doing some heat sheilding on the back of the FIPK wall.

IC plastic tubing you have in the pic.
After you run it, is there any spot on that tubing thats near a heat source and thus soaking it in??

Id start by looking for those things.

·
3,878 Posts
The heat source is the air coming out of the radiator.

I would recommend isolating your filter/intake from the engine compartment.
You could also route air from the front of the truck to the filter with flex tubing or other means.

Here's an example of how to fabricate one:

(It's not on an S10, but the principle construction techniquest will be the same.

Although I've never tried it, Jegs/Summitt both sells an insulation wrap for intake tubes.

·
3,878 Posts
Chevyhiperformance magazine did an article on a Silverado SS that they built. The installed a Volant cold air system on the truck that also had a supercharger.

It was vented to a scoop under the front bumper and it lowered the temps read by the IAT by 5 degrees.

As an experiment, they wraped the tube that connected the throttle-body to the MAF sensor with a heat wrap. During highway cruise, the portion of the tube not covered with the wrap reached 145 degrees, under the heat shield of the portion that was covered, the temp was 105.

Might be something to it.

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate your input Phil, I just odered some self adhesive aluminized heat shielding from summit. I and going to wrap everything and try to build a box of sorts to try and isolate the air something similar to what you pictured.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Im still rocking a 4.3. The intake is the K&N FIPK kit. Has the open element filter behind the drivers headlamp, one of those forned 'walls' sectioning off that corner and a plastic pipeing.
Need a pic?

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.....I wrapped all tubing, elbow, MAF housing and have reduced IAT temps over 50* . I still show a 105~115 IAT at cruising speed with 90* ambient temp. I will isolate the cone air filter like the examples that phil posted next and record temp readings.

I will be going back to the track next week and I plan to pull the Pass. headlight and see how much lower the IAT drops since my filter sits right behind the big opening in the core support.

·
Registered
358 Posts
at idle I see 125 or so...but cruising mine sits around 90-100. Pretty much the ambient temp here in FL this time of year. But I have my IAT sensor at the end of the tube where the filter is...not up near the TB. So I am having false low readings cause it isnt probing the hot air after its passed by tha radiator like yours.

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
at idle I see 125 or so...but cruising mine sits around 90-100. Pretty much the ambient temp here in FL this time of year. But I have my IAT sensor at the end of the tube where the filter is...not up near the TB. So I am having false low readings cause it isnt probing the hot air after its passed by tha radiator like yours.
Yea of the two variables I would rather have low readings rather than the high reading I am getting. As you know the PCM pulls timing and fuel based on IAT.

I am shooting for ACTUAL IATs to provide the most effecient cycles.

·
3,878 Posts
I may need to be corrected, but I believe that the timing table has a variable field to adjust the temps at which timing is pulled. You might check with your tuner.

It's set very conservatively by the factory. They baseline them at all extremes, from the arctic to Death Valley.

·
On da bottle
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may need to be corrected, but I believe that the timing table has a variable field to adjust the temps at which timing is pulled. You might check with your tuner.

It's set very conservatively by the factory. They baseline them at all extremes, from the arctic to Death Valley.
Yes that is correct, I have adjusted the table to only start pulling 2* around 140 (not at home so I dont recall actual temp) and up from there. But the IAT is factored in on your airflow and fueling tables I believe since the air desenty changes.

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Thats real interesting about the intake temps. So did you just wrap the intake tubing or did you like wrap all the elbows and rubber pieces as well?

And what did you wrap it with, header wrap?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts