S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Dolls,
Is there a high flow electric water pump that bolts up to our 4.3? I have a 2000 Gmc Jimmy with auto. I still want to use the heater core though. It is cold up here in Jersey. Thanks in advance. Happy sails. Tony

·
Registered
448 Posts
BAD IDEA!
The electric water pump is not for street use.
It won't last, even for a couple of months.
Also it would make it almost impossible to use the other belt driven accessories.
The electric pump is designed for the 1/4 mile racer, with no alternator, power steering, A/C, etc.

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
331 Posts
I have a question. What about the electice water pumps on the late model camaros as far as how long they last because they "should" bolt up? Not that I wanting to do it just curious about it because I don't want to have to fab up a new pulley system just for removing the pump pulley.

Verne

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
331 Posts
Thanks. Just thought about it one day since it is a 350 block and alot of things can interchange on a 4.3

Verne

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
331 Posts
I learn something new every day or at least try to.

Thanks,

Verne

·
Registered
742 Posts
The lt1s have electric pumps straight from the factory. I know of a couple of people with LS1 f-bodies that have put electric pumps on, and those are daily drivers. The LS1s with the pumps have a pulley around the electric pump that allows you to run your stock belt. I have also seen them on a couple of mustangs. I though the LT1 block was the same 350 block, but with different heads and intake.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The LT1 is a standard SBC (small block Chevy) with parts that fit our 4.3 V6's.
Not true for the LS1.
If there is a production Camaro with a electric pump fitted to a SBC I would expect it to be reasonably reliable.
I would not expect that making the drive belt setup work for a 4.3 would be easy.

·
Accent, what accent
845 Posts
I have been playing w/idea of doing this on my '91. is there a GM part# or an after market manufacturer that also makes them?
John

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
Are you wanting to change to a electric pump to lessen drag.Because the impeller in stock water pumps dont create enough drag for you to notice.1/4 racers are looking for every little advantage they can get.It just isnt a gainable switch for a street driven daily driver.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You wouldn't actually reduce drag in street driving.
An electric water-pump would draw current from the alternator.
That increases alternator drag. Figure about 1 HP for every 18-20 amps draw from the alternator.

On the strip you can switch the pump off when you run. That's where you reduce drag. Or else you run a small pump that's barely adequite. Then you reduce the current draw.

On the street it'll run all the time. That'll actually INCREASE drag.
You don't get that electricity for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.