S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Dolls,
Is there a high flow electric water pump that bolts up to our 4.3? I have a 2000 Gmc Jimmy with auto. I still want to use the heater core though. It is cold up here in Jersey. Thanks in advance. Happy sails. Tony

·
Registered
448 Posts
BAD IDEA!
The electric water pump is not for street use.
It won't last, even for a couple of months.
Also it would make it almost impossible to use the other belt driven accessories.
The electric pump is designed for the 1/4 mile racer, with no alternator, power steering, A/C, etc.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
What Ed said. Don't do it.

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
330 Posts
I have a question. What about the electice water pumps on the late model camaros as far as how long they last because they "should" bolt up? Not that I wanting to do it just curious about it because I don't want to have to fab up a new pulley system just for removing the pump pulley.

Verne

·
Registered
448 Posts
Verne said:
I have a question. What about the electice water pumps on the late model camaros as far as how long they last because they "should" bolt up?
That pump will not "bolt up"
to your engine.
There is nothing in common with that engine and your 4.3v6.

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
330 Posts
Thanks. Just thought about it one day since it is a 350 block and alot of things can interchange on a 4.3

Verne

·
Registered
448 Posts
Verne said:
Thanks. Just thought about it one day since it is a 350 block and alot of things can interchange on a 4.3

Verne
Actually it's a LS1 block, and nothing interchanges for us.

·
H.D. & A. CEO.
330 Posts
I learn something new every day or at least try to.

Thanks,

Verne

·
Registered
742 Posts
The lt1s have electric pumps straight from the factory. I know of a couple of people with LS1 f-bodies that have put electric pumps on, and those are daily drivers. The LS1s with the pumps have a pulley around the electric pump that allows you to run your stock belt. I have also seen them on a couple of mustangs. I though the LT1 block was the same 350 block, but with different heads and intake.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The LT1 is a standard SBC (small block Chevy) with parts that fit our 4.3 V6's.
Not true for the LS1.
If there is a production Camaro with a electric pump fitted to a SBC I would expect it to be reasonably reliable.
I would not expect that making the drive belt setup work for a 4.3 would be easy.

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
I have been playing w/idea of doing this on my '91. is there a GM part# or an after market manufacturer that also makes them?
John

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
Are you wanting to change to a electric pump to lessen drag.Because the impeller in stock water pumps dont create enough drag for you to notice.1/4 racers are looking for every little advantage they can get.It just isnt a gainable switch for a street driven daily driver.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
What's 'reverse' about it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
You wouldn't actually reduce drag in street driving.
An electric water-pump would draw current from the alternator.
That increases alternator drag. Figure about 1 HP for every 18-20 amps draw from the alternator.

On the strip you can switch the pump off when you run. That's where you reduce drag. Or else you run a small pump that's barely adequite. Then you reduce the current draw.

On the street it'll run all the time. That'll actually INCREASE drag.
You don't get that electricity for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts