S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was needing some advice on a high flow cat...worth the money or not?..any gains sound difference...any ad vice is good advice :)

·
WHAAAh?
1,424 Posts
with the 2.2........not really

·
Registered
132 Posts
yet there is a difference in power. It will definatly sound louder. I actually just did a test pipe on mine yesterday & it felt much quicker from 1,500 till about 4k.
Although i know alot of it is really mental because of the added sound of my dual exhaust. but yes it will be louder & you will feel a difference. which will inturn result in you stepping on the gas more, which will ultimatly lead to poor gas mileage

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
If your N/A and stock, not really. If you've got something inside the little 2.2L or are boosted...then yes.

If your current cat is bad and you need a new one then I'd just replace it with aftermarket. In Houston we don't don't replace stock parts with stock parts.:D

·
Ballin on a Budget
432 Posts
My buddy put one on his Z24 and he actually ran a little slower on the track compared to when he had the stock cat.

·
lazy and broke
597 Posts
most of the time aftermarket is cheaper than stock on exhaust parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd say no, unless you have at least other exhaust mods on your truck (header, catback, etc).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't have any other mods yet but plan on it...just got to do a little at a time money's a little tight...so most say with other mods go for it...so go ahead and go for it if doing other mods right?

·
Slow Sonoma
503 Posts
My cat went bad awhile back and I was thinking about replacing it with a high flow aftermarket one. If you gut the stock one, would it affect how the sensor further down reads? If it's going to run much better with an aftermarket and my gas mileage will be better, I'd much rather go with the aftermarket.

·
Registered
99 Posts
why not just gut the cat? unless your in an area that requires emission tests then just do that. even better is, is that if a cop happens to look under there, he'll see the "cat" and you wont get the $10,000 fine. (yes i am serious, $10,000 fine, at least in my area) but then again, what are the odds of that happening.

·
tuckin' fx4
3,888 Posts
will the high flow cat make it sound different? im thinkin of doin this but i definately dont like it loud unless its a v6 or v8

·
Slow Sonoma
503 Posts
Well I'm trying to figure out if it's okay for the catalytic converter to be gutted and ran like that. Will it affect how the engine runs because of the sensor after the converter? I don't want to gut the cat if it's going to make it run funny or get worse gas mileage.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Toadz said:
Well I'm trying to figure out if it's okay for the catalytic converter to be gutted and ran like that. Will it affect how the engine runs because of the sensor after the converter? I don't want to gut the cat if it's going to make it run funny or get worse gas mileage.
You would use an 02 simulator, it would supply the computer with the readings it wants to see. You'll have to gut the cat yourself, no shop will take the risk anymore.

spaz100 said:
why not just gut the cat? unless your in an area that requires emission tests then just do that. even better is, is that if a cop happens to look under there, he'll see the "cat" and you wont get the $10,000 fine. (yes i am serious, $10,000 fine, at least in my area) but then again, what are the odds of that happening.
You can't actually fit your head under my truck, I discovered that when a cop tried to look under mine. He didn't believe me that the strange lawn mower noise was just my flex pipe gone bad.:rotf:

·
Slow Sonoma
503 Posts
Dr. Nate said:
You would use an 02 simulator, it would supply the computer with the readings it wants to see. You'll have to gut the cat yourself, no shop will take the risk anymore.
Where would I be able to find this 02 simulator? Are they expensive or same price as a normal O2 sensor? My catalytic converter is getting noisy as hell, really annoying especially if it echoes off something...jeez.:rant:

·
.:|Hustlin4life|:.
5,662 Posts
I've got a a 50 seried two chamber flowmaster on my 2.2 and my cat went bad, so I replace it witha CatCo High Flo($5o from Summit) and it made a HUGE difference in sounds. It is ALOT deeper now.

·
.:|Hustlin4life|:.
5,662 Posts
spaz100 said:
$25,000 here in AR

·
EngerManagementMotorsport
78 Posts
i have had a highflow cat on for 2 plus years great buy but then again when i got it my old one was clogged and i bought and got a entire custom exhaust made from the bolts on the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the end, endin up spendin like $600 on brand new custom made side pipe exhaust that included brand new flex pipe, cat (2.5") way bigger,, new muffler Vforce was like $150 sounds exactly like a flowmaster i was told its the same thing but who knwos and totally custom hand built bends after that which exited right infront the right rear tire... noticd power gains from there but in the end it just grabs cops attention and gets horrible gasmileage .. like 19 highway and thats overdrive doing 60mph at 3000rpm pretty sad .. though alot of other mods done aswell too so yah but nothing majorly internal internally its stock with 165k not too bad though everything else has shit the bed includeing the tranny 3 times !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts