S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.3 s10 and I plan on getting a high flow cat, and was wondering if it will be louder straight piped or with the 40 series. I plan on dumping the exhaust in front of each rear wheel, maybe behind I don’t know yet. Any replies will be very appreciated!

·
the new guy
905 Posts
straight pipe is always louder. if you dump straight down, you are not going to enjoy driving your truck with straight pipes because it drones terribly on the highway.

I love straight pipes and glasspaks. I have always had them but I do not ever dump or short pipe under the vehicle because I don't want even more hearing loss then I already have. if you want loud exhaust, point them out from under the edges of the bed or exit behind the rear valance/roll pan. it still sounds good outside the truck and you won't have hearing aids at 45 years old

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
straight pipe is always louder. if you dump straight down, you are not going to enjoy driving your truck with straight pipes because it drones terribly on the highway.

I love straight pipes and glasspaks. I have always had them but I do not ever dump or short pipe under the vehicle because I don't want even more hearing loss then I already have. if you want loud exhaust, point them out from under the edges of the bed or exit behind the rear valance/roll pan. it still sounds good outside the truck and you won't have hearing aids at 45 years old
Should I point them out before or after the tires? I was thinking about doing 3” pipe outlet on the high flow, and just using 3” pipe all the way back. Do you think that will be good?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Personally i'd run a muffler single in dual out and have tail pipes made to exit at the rear bumper. True dual exhaust is probably cool and all, but with the fuel tank and lines and evap all on the driver side i'd be a bit paranoid to actually do it. I use to like how my 4.3 sounded but i recently dragged the muffler off and it was terrible in my opinion, even my 350 s10 i run a resonator and muffler and i find it too loud sometimes maybe i'm just getting old....

·
Been there Done it
12,799 Posts
I use to like how my 4.3 sounded but i recently dragged the muffler off and it was terrible in my opinion, even my 350 s10 i run a resonator and muffler and i find it too loud sometimes maybe i'm just getting old....
Yup, you're getting old when you no longer think the louder and more obnoxious the better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Won’t a high flow make it louder?
Than stock maybe, than without a converter no. The converter has media inside that will baffle a certain amount of noise. Of course you need cats for emission and legal reasons. Before people start bashing about running cats and no cats, its a federal mandate 1990 federal clean air act section 203 (a)(3)(A) according to the document i just pulled up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Than stock maybe, than without a converter no. The converter has media inside that will baffle a certain amount of noise. Of course you need cats for emission and legal reasons. Before people start bashing about running cats and no cats, its a federal mandate 1990 federal clean air act section 203 (a)(3)(A) according to the document i just pulled up.
I don’t have to worry to much about legal due to my dad being running a Chevrolet dealership?.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
you do have to worry about your dad losing his inspection license and possible going to jail for falsifying inspection paperwork though.

cats don't impede performance for street vehicles. bmws in America came with cats and European ones didn't. the euro ones made 5 more horsepower then the American ones on the 3 series from the 80s and early 90s. 5 hp difference. a butt dyno can't even feel the difference in 5hp when racing so a street truck will for sure not notice 5hp less. I used the 3 series because I used to race those and have had 10 or 15 of them. I cannot tell you ford/chevy/dodge/Toyota/etc numbers because I never messed with those but I imagine its very similar.

I personally like the exhaust coming out the sides in front of the tires, on a truck. you could easily run your factory pipe and put into a single in/dual out borla/magnaflow/xbrand muffler and come out in front of the wheels, behind the wheels, or out the back for way cheaper then getting a new cat or two and rerunning everything in duals. way cheaper!! and it will still sound great.

all the stuff you are asking about is totally personal preference and you might do one thing and a week later not like and change it. I have run trucks out the back, like a sports car, and I don't like it. my little 92 is run out the side in the stock spot with a single pipe but is only running the factory cat and straight pipe back from there. it sounds like a v8 at idle and you cannot even hear it on the highway when driving. my buddy says being next to the tip on the highway sucks for the him in his truck but in the cab of my truck, I don't even know its loud. but, you just have to pick something that looks cool and go from there.

you could easily run something like this,
if you wished to.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
563 Posts
I personally like to run the catalytic convertor and then 2.5" straight pipe back splitting it in front of the axle and dumping it behind both rear wheels out the side. It's not too loud with the cat and gives it a nice rumble too.

·
Been there Done it
12,799 Posts
I don’t have to worry to much about legal due to my dad being running a Chevrolet dealership?.
If your dad has a Chevy dealership WTF are you doing with an old S10. You should be playing with your 2020 Camaro. All the kids I knew who were kids of the dealership's owner when I worked at one had "Demo" cars that were top of the line each year. Then daddy sold them when the new ones came out as demos. Didn't cost him a dime and the kids got their new cars for the following year. A couple of the boys tried to talk daddy into Copo's, but he knew better than to give them that kind of power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ugh, straight pipes are never cool on a street vehicle. Even when I was in my 20's and carefully listened to every vehicle that went by. ESPECIALLY for any four or six cylinder.

These days even Flowmaster 40's are too obnoxious and I ran them for years. Once I get further along, the whole exhaust system in my S10 is going to be replaced and the 50 series will be replaced with 70's.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
563 Posts
Different tastes for different times and generations. I'm 60 so I grew up with headers, hemi's, big block chevy's and hotrods. We would run open headers until told to cork up by the cops. So, I like my slightly louder S-10 and my wife loves it as she can hear its me when I'm coming home. All my kids also have unique exhaust systems for different sounds on their vehicles as that's how we identify them out here in the country.

·
Registered
74 Posts
when i had my 4.3l i had a flow 40, spintech 6000, and a pypes race pro.

out of all of them i think i liked the spintech 6000.

my flow 40 was severly choaked because the muffler shop used a single press bent 2.25" pipe and really once over 4000rpms would fall on its face. found that out once i swaped to one of my other setups.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,628 Posts
ok- to ask the important questions/answer- are you going for loud and proud- loud and screechy or loud and deep- 1- straight pipe- 2 short pipe between cat and muffler and exit- 3 long pipe to muffler and straight out the back- the tone is controlled by pipe length- think of a trombone.

Reactions: superj
1 - 20 of 21 Posts