S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I installed a new plug-n-play HID kit w/ digital ballasts (6000K) to replace my old bulbs that burnt out. Anyway, install and everything went well, no issues at first......Then tonight I went out and noticed that when I start the engine, sometimes one of the HID's goes out.....It'll come on before the engine starts, then blink out once I start the engine.....It also kinda switches back and fourth between the driver side and the passenger side - not the same side doing this everytime.......If I flick my highbeams for a second, both will come back on, and seem to stay on fine for the duration of the drive? Anyone know whats going on???

BTW: This is probably silly, but could an HID melt my plastic lense?? or is that just not possible?

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I still have auto lights and DRL's hooked up.....But I kinda like my auto lights, so I'd rather leave them alone.

I've been using my parking brake, which overrides the autolights/drls...once I start the truck and the engine is running, then I release the brake, which allows the lights full power to come on.....So far no more issues.

·
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!
2,814 Posts
You need the a relay harness like from LMC dude....also, flick your highbeams on for a sec and thatll fix them too....my DD does this, but, my 95 does not.

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah....I noticed the highbeam trick, lol. Since I've been using the handbrake as I said above it's been fine, the few times I've forgotten I've done the highbeam thing.
I'll probably get a relay over the x-mas break or something.....right now I am swamped with school/work :(

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
sounds like you need relays to pull power from the battery instead of the wires in the truck...and yes they can melt plastic
Really i always thought they ran cooler than Halogen bulbs. I dunno maybe i was mistaken???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts