S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I installed a new plug-n-play HID kit w/ digital ballasts (6000K) to replace my old bulbs that burnt out. Anyway, install and everything went well, no issues at first......Then tonight I went out and noticed that when I start the engine, sometimes one of the HID's goes out.....It'll come on before the engine starts, then blink out once I start the engine.....It also kinda switches back and fourth between the driver side and the passenger side - not the same side doing this everytime.......If I flick my highbeams for a second, both will come back on, and seem to stay on fine for the duration of the drive? Anyone know whats going on???

BTW: This is probably silly, but could an HID melt my plastic lense?? or is that just not possible?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
sounds like you need relays to pull power from the battery instead of the wires in the truck...and yes they can melt plastic
By the sounds of it he still has DRL hooked up. Wouldn't it be best to disable that and the any time lights as well?

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I still have auto lights and DRL's hooked up.....But I kinda like my auto lights, so I'd rather leave them alone.

I've been using my parking brake, which overrides the autolights/drls...once I start the truck and the engine is running, then I release the brake, which allows the lights full power to come on.....So far no more issues.

·
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!
2,814 Posts
You need the a relay harness like from LMC dude....also, flick your highbeams on for a sec and thatll fix them too....my DD does this, but, my 95 does not.

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah....I noticed the highbeam trick, lol. Since I've been using the handbrake as I said above it's been fine, the few times I've forgotten I've done the highbeam thing.
I'll probably get a relay over the x-mas break or something.....right now I am swamped with school/work :(

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
sounds like you need relays to pull power from the battery instead of the wires in the truck...and yes they can melt plastic
Really i always thought they ran cooler than Halogen bulbs. I dunno maybe i was mistaken???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts