S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incognegro S-Dime
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just bought a 9000K HID kit online. I own a 95 s10, 2.2L 5-speed. I have the sealed beam, but I bought a conversion kit, so now I can put any h4 bulb I want to into it, it also has angel eyes. Now my question is, I installed the HID's, and when I turned on my lights, only the passenger side worked, the driver side flashed twice, but stayed off. I read it takes a lot of power to turn them on, and in the instructions it told me to replace my headlight fuse with a 30 amp fuse, but the problem is, I opened my fuse box (in the door), and couldn't find the headlight fuse, anywhere, I found the DRL fuse, but not the headlight fuse. I left the one HID on, and pulled out every fuse, and still the HID stayed on. So, where the hell is the fuse for the headlights. I know I have a relay in the glove box, but how do I get a bigger one, so both of my HID's will work?

Also, my hid's have an HID low beam, and a halogen high beam. When I turn on my high beams, the HID (low beam) goes off, therefore I would assume, I wouldn't be able to see as much, because it's only a halogen bulb, not an HID. How can i get it so my HID will stay on when I turn on my high beam. I read about kits for the 98+, where you have the composite headlamps, but I have the single headlights, (high and low in the same housing). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Incognegro S-Dime
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where are they under the hood? I've never seen any.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
they should have come with a wiring harness with a relay system. Odds are you wired them up wrong. But for benefit of the user I will say attach the wiring to the other light and see if itll light up bulb might be blown. If not try to rewire the system and trace and not be hooked up to the highbeam circuit by accident.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you touched the glass part of the bulb, you prolly burned the bulb out. You should NEVER touch the glass portion of the bulb! oil & grease (yes we all have it, no matter how many times a day we wash our hands, and no matter how clean you think you are) sticks to the bulb and it burns it.
Low beams always goes out when high beams come on. Been that way since the mid 80's.

·
Incognegro S-Dime
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your help, but i sort of got them to work. It came with the ballast, bulbs, and wires to hook up to the ballast, and two fuses. Anyway, I installed them, and turned them on, and either they will both go on then turn off, or one will go on and the other will turn off, so I then turn off the headlights, then turn them back on, and they both work. They look great. I would swear it's an Audi coming down the road when I let my friend take it down the road and back, they are def. worth the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey i know how to fix them, i dont own a s10, i have a cavalier(jbody) and i have HID's, its because GM is wierd, and the pass side doesnt get as much juice for the HID's so it doesnt ignite properly all the time, its a simple fix, you setup a heavy duty harness, using a relay hooked up to your stock plug and to your battery, then to your ballast, heres the instructions...

"(1) 30A Relay

(1) 30amp Inline Fuse

Yellow Ring Terminal For Battery

For 9007 Situations, if 9005/9006 just do it with the Low beam not the High and Low

Cut Ground/Low Beam Wire from the ballasts…

Take the Ground From Stock Socket To the 85 Term on the relay
Take the High/Low(on 9007 only) Beam From Stock Socket to the 86 Term
Use Inline Fuse for Terminal on Battery
Put a wire from the positive terminal of the Battery to the In-Fuse to the 87 Terminal on Relay
Take the 12v From Both Ballasts to the 30 Terminal
Ground Both Ballasts to a desired ground point
"

Also, the ballast box is self grounding so you cannot screw them into the frame of the car(or any metal) or else they will not turn off, so either get some plastic bolts or just zip tie them in, now here is my great diagram i made,

lemme know if you need more help

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't get it. I bought a pair of APC upgrades, put H4/9003's in them and used the stock plugs. Works fine in my '91.

BTW- The little bilbs on the side; they 194's? Can you just hook them to the side marker wiring?

Also, any reason to leave those flat deflectors in front of the bulb? I see some kits that don't have them.

Thanks,

Seth

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you buy xenon or actual HID? HID's use ballasts that ignite the bulbs, hallogen(xenon) ones do not, they use a filament, did your bulbs cost 40 bux? or 400? that will pretty much tell you what you got. if 40...then you got xenon, if 400, you got HID

·
Incognegro S-Dime
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're def. HID's. I paid 375. They have the ballasts and all the wiring, with the HID bulbs. THe h4 HID bulb to be exact. THey sometimes work, but i noticed what you meant by the passenger side doesn't get as much juice, because of the wiring of the harness.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What brand did you get? Try a hella ballast with a rebased H4 phillips bulb for best results... i have HID's on my trailblazer, i bought a cheap pair, then i upgraded to hella and phillips, total different, The cheap kit i had used to turn on sometimes and sometimes not. I upgraded to hella and that problem went away..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts