S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Today I traded my zq8 leaf springs w/ dave (98layinframe) for some extended cab springs with an aal in them. The back, at the wheelwell sits at 32 inches and the front is 28. I have a hick truck for a while but its cool. Now i need some spindles and new coil springs for the front. Then i'll put some taller shackles in the back- get some 30" tires, a posi- and i'll be good to go.
it was wierd b/c dave and me had almost the exact same truck- same color, year, engine, tranny- all except his was a GMC and mines a Chev (there's not many trucks that color out there)
The bolts were a pain to get out, and it took us about 3 hours to do the whole thing. We had to use a 5 foot pipe to break the ubolt nuts loose- but it wasn't too bad. Just spray all the bolts w/ PBlaster every night for a week before you do anything and buy a good air hammer.
And now i'd like to publicly thank dave and doug for their time and doug's garage for the day
Here's some pics of my truck and daves noma- hope you enjoy them- if anyone has some v6 coils or the fabtech spindles let me know

GUS

·
Registered
733 Posts
dam thats even higher then mine was last week, i just put in a set of c knaffle 2 inch rear shackles in for a about week it drove me nuts looking down while driving so i ordered in a set of moog 5662's and a set of gas struts and now it isnt to bad at all, got a little extra height in the front it looks great moog 5662 or the 5664 if u have a 6 cylinder would work great, to fix up ur beast

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys-
hey scott- everyone says the moog coils are a pain to put in. we were gonna put v6 coils in, but the guy who was sellin them couldn't find them. Are they really that hard- or is there a trick to it

GUS

·
RRAARR!!!!
240 Posts
gusdaman said:
thanks guys-
hey scott- everyone says the moog coils are a pain to put in. we were gonna put v6 coils in, but the guy who was sellin them couldn't find them. Are they really that hard- or is there a trick to it

GUS

This is from another post I made. They aren't very dificult and the 5662s are even a little easier since they're a little softer. This is how I did it. I'm sure theres other ways but this way worked. and don't forget to grease the spring compressor threads a lot. and get the spring compressor the book recommends. the one with inside hooks and just a flat piece on the other side. the ones with two sets of hooks won't work.

"seriously all I did was compress the thing down like crazy and then i kinda straddled the lower arm and pushed it down as far as I could with my feet. after that, i took the compressed spring and placed it in there make sure to get it positioned the same way the old one was. oh yeah make sure you put the coil spring insulators back in. I didn't its loud as hell. anyway once you got it positioned, get a jack under the arm and start lifting. I did it bye myself but a buddy would be helpful for that step. lemme know"

·
Registered
733 Posts
pretty much would he said i did mine a little differently, compress the spring down like mad, and i used kind of like a big c hook, as u let the pressure off the spring compresser tool, the c hook holds the one side of the spring tight and that side that the hook is on faces the frame, have a second set of hands to pull down the LCA is very helpful to have, i did one side by myself before i got tired and called buddy to come help out, things work alot better and faster if u have a buddy , who is helpful, not just one of them looky lou's, who would rather stand around drink beer, and shoot the shit. GL with your 5664 or 5662 which ever you decied to go with.

·
LOL NEON
1,456 Posts
how much of a lift would those v6 coils give a 2.2?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys-
So basically grease the compressor threads a lot- and dont use an air wrench right????
Then i stick it in the bottom of the spring first and then try to get the top in, while pulling down on the LCA??? and then keep the compressor on while i jack the LCA up and thread the nut on the lower ball joint??
And if i'm flippin the upper ball joint- will that make it easier to get the lower ball joint attached to the spindle sice the spindle will be down a little farther ???
I don't know much about front suspensions. ANy info if helpful.
Thanks guys
GUS
Anyone know about the v6 coils on a 2.2?????

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
glad to see your happy with the springs we swapped. :)

As for the v6 coils in a reg cab 2.2, they should give ya about 3/4" - 1" of extra lift. So since your going from a 1.5" drop coil to say a stock v6 coil. That means your gona gain back the 1.5" + about an extra 1" due to the smaller lighter motor. So really its only gona lift the truck about 1" above what a stock s10 would sit at. That extra inch plus the lift spindles would be enough to level the truck out with the back... but if you plan on putting on a set of shackles out back, then youd be much better off running the moog coils to give you 2" above stock.

·
RRAARR!!!!
240 Posts
Schnarr said:
im from canada stores here are dumbasses what are moog 5664's out of i have a 4.3 blazer
iroc camaro convertible 350 automatic a/c. 5664

iroc camaro coupe 350 5662

1986 will work if your just looking to get springs from the local parts store.

Hope I helped

·
Registered
733 Posts
gusdaman said:
Thanks guys-
So basically grease the compressor threads a lot- and dont use an air wrench right????
Then i stick it in the bottom of the spring first and then try to get the top in, while pulling down on the LCA??? and then keep the compressor on while i jack the LCA up and thread the nut on the lower ball joint??
And if i'm flippin the upper ball joint- will that make it easier to get the lower ball joint attached to the spindle sice the spindle will be down a little farther ???
I don't know much about front suspensions. ANy info if helpful.
Thanks guys
GUS
Anyone know about the v6 coils on a 2.2?????
im not sure what kind of spring compressor you are using, the one i used you can not put the springs on the truck and get the spring compressor off, there is a very tiny hole in the bottom of the lca to get it out keep that in mind, be careful friend, when they springs are compressed if anything happenes and teh compresser lets go watch out, i witnessed a compressed spring unload and shoot right though the roof of a local shop, kinda funny to see something blast a hole in a roof, yet extremely dangerous! so be careful

·
RRAARR!!!!
240 Posts
98layinframe said:
so do ya have to tell them the car is a 86, or can it be any year from the 80's?
any iroc camaro will work i don't know all the years of the irocs i know that 86 had the option, so if you say 86, then you will be sure to get the right springs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i'm not sure what kind i'll be using either- but i'll definitely have someone there to help me. The only springs i ever did were switching the springs on a kubota RTV if you guys know what that is. Do you guys have links to the kind of compressors that i should be using????
Thanks
GUS-
HEy thanks again dave- i like the leafs a lot

·
RRAARR!!!!
240 Posts
Ok well can't find a picture of it but its got one of hooks like a normal compressor, then on the other side a relatively flat piece of steel about 1/2" thick that is a two prong Y shape. I rented mine at autozone for free. im sure you could do the same.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys- I ordered the fabtech lift spindles today from 4wheelparts.com They're real nice there- they actually will give you a little better price if you call them - the spindles were only $360 and i think they have free shipping till april 15th. Then i called a parts store and ordered the moog 5662s for 55 bucks. Now all i need is the brake lines. I'll put some pics up when its finished.
Thanks for all the replies
GUS
P.S. How do you put new spindles on. Take off brakes, bearings, anything else????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts