S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Actually a Ford guy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm looking to rebuild my 1995 4.3 TBI for 350 or so horsepower. I want to do a full carb instead of a TBI as I won't be going anywhere in high altitude. I want to supercharge it with a Wynjammer at some point. I'm aiming for a budget around 3k excluding the Wynjammer. Any recommendations for parts? I want reliability as well as power. Thank you!

·
time to get cereal
5,166 Posts
If you want reliability, multiport fuel injection (sequential or not), or even your TBI will be more reliable than a carb.

·
Been there Done it
11,465 Posts
An early 454 TBI is bigger. You'll have to bore out you intake to 2" for the butterflys to clear. There are many different flow rates of injectors available. One from a 454 would be too much. There are a few different flow rates of 350 injectors. Avoid the late 454 TBI's because they operate at high pressure and would require redoing the whole fuel system.

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
time to get cereal
5,166 Posts
First I would get yourself more educated on the subject. The phrase "TBI carbs" doesn't make it sound like you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1992 s10 blazer 4.3 tbi
89 Posts
Id stick with what you got. Making sure everything is in working order is a good place to start. Make sure you have Correct fuel pressure, no vacuum leaks, sensors operating correctly.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm looking to rebuild my 1995 4.3 TBI for 350 or so horsepower….I want reliability as well as power.
Budget of 3k is decent, but in my eyes, 350 hp and reliable don’t go hand in hand. Youre entering V8 swap territory. Which then you’d be very reliable, and have your power ratings at with a nearly stock engine. Seeing your truck is a 4wd, is there something specific you are looking to do? Racing, mud boggin, cruising?

·
Been there Done it
11,465 Posts
One issue you are going to have no matter which way you go is the fact the electrical system on a 95 GM anything is a clusterflock. In particular the engine control portion of the electrical system. TBI engines always used OBD1, but your truck has a OBD2 diagnostic connector. First thing I'd do is find a 89-94 ALDL connector and replace the 16 pin OBD2 connector with the earlier style so you can connect an OBD 1 scanner to it.

Reactions: caveman110

·
Boozebag
9,805 Posts
There's a lot to consider here.
Since this is a 95 (too close to OBD II) tuning the ECU for more performance comes into view.
The average person probably doesn't have the technology to do this, and if they did, they would still be best off taking it to a qualified tuner with a dyno.
350 HPs may be achievable with a supercharger, but it will be a pretty good feat for an N/A 4.3 V6.
Then there is reliability.
As soon as you start force feeding anything beyond its capabilities, stuff has a tendency to grenade.
There are guys running 10s and 9s with a 4.3, but they are (ahem) RADICAL...

Ok, with all of that said, I have a 3.4 60* V6 (I'm tired of saying this) that is N/A and runs mid to low 14s in an S10. Mainly bolt ons and a cam.
It runs a Holley 390, and starts INSTANTLY without applying any throttle (when warm).
Even cold, it starts without the choke.
A carb can be reliable, although true, FI is more precise.

I guess what I am trying to say: you can run a carb with good results.

I'm not trying to be a dck, but I am tired of hearing (first thing in a performance thread where a carb is mentioned) that they are junk.
The main issue here... a carb induction is much simpler for those with limited tech knowledge and access to the proper tools to make it work with best results.

I think you could talk to a member on the forum with one of the Holley injection systems that still hasn't sorted it out. It's supposed to be a self learning system to boot.
Another member went from carb to TBI on a 3.4. He said it works better than the carb, but was HELL to sort. He did finally organize it to run properly.

Ok, I've said enough of this.
I'm here to try and help.
If the OP wants a carb, let him learn.
I'm willing to bet it is a lot harder to get the same level of performance * without the tech savvy* using an FI system as compared to installing a stoopid simple carb.

And FTW is the story of that goofy spider on these 4.3 engines?

·
Old Fart
4,395 Posts
Most people don't have a clue on how to tune a carb let alone FI. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts