S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, so i have a 2001 blazer black, and i got the altezza style taillights for it about a year ago. i was the only blazer i had ever seen with them until about a month ago, now there's 3 blazerX's driving around with them and i'm pretty upset about this. so what i want to do is take them apart and paint the big ole chrome reflecter gloss black. it would match my paint, plus i'd go back to being different agian! so i tried melting the glue that holds them together with a heat gun, but it softens up the clear plastic and doesnt even phase the glue!!!! i'm stumped, i dont know how to get these f****rs apart!!!!! please help.
since i dont know how to put a picture in here, u can see the taillights i have if u scroll down this page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1827279343&r=0&t=0

·
295 Posts
Dude.. :) Sell the ones you have and just get the carbon fiber backed altezza euro clears. :) save you a headache, that's for damn sure. :)

·
formally Lownoma
2,458 Posts
hey man my buddy took apart his taillights using a heat gun and some time...he didnt heat them up too much....then he used a pick tool to scrap the glue out while he went along....try that and see if tha helps he paintedthe chrome inside his white...to match...it looks really nice
hope that helps
jason

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, i'm trying to do mine up in black..... i've been using a heat gun, but its just not working for me, i'll try the pick tool idea though.

do you have a picture of the black carbon fiber altezzas for a 2001 blazer???? i thought they only made them for s-10's.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm about to just give up on the idea.... i'm loosing my mind with this thing. there's gotta be another way

·
Gingerbread Man
57 Posts
Have you tried a dremel tool with a mini saw blade attachment?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that wouldn't work, its 2 peices of curved plastic, and there's no way to get to the calk/glue or whatever it is. i was thinking about heating up an exacto knife blade and bending it to fit in there in combination of the heat gun to melt the glue as much as possible. its just frustrating cuz i left the bulbs attatched when i brought the tail light inside then it started raining so my bulbs got all wet. so i let them dry for a day and i put them back in yesterday. then today i lost one of the 3 i put back in, and now i have the 90mph ricer turn signal. EEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
but thanx for the thought. :idea:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i'm experimenting with my stock tail lights, they just wont come apart!!!!!!!!!!
i'm ready to soak these b**ches in paint thinner!!! i dont care, i just want them apart. somebody has to have done this before. i just saw a red 94 jimmy with his painted gold, but i couldn't turn arouind to chace him down and make him do mine in black. so i know its possible!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SWEET!!!!!!!!, thanx i'll try that.

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Hi BLAZO:

Go to a hobby shop and pick up an electric hobby knife. It works like a small soldering iron, but accepts an exacto knife blade on the end. Turn up the heat and you should be able to separate the light housing. Be careful and go slow. I use one to section model car bodies and stuff, so it can be used to do a neat job if you're careful.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kewl, thanx.... its so hard to get anything in there around the curve of the plastic

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm using a stock tail as a sacraficial lamb!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i did a combination..... i baked it in the oven..... heat gunned it, exacto knifed it, and pryed with a screw driver!!!!! and it took me about an hour just to get a coner up, and its not getting any easier. all this is on the stock tail light..... you think they probably use the same impenatrable glue???

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just get some APC's... you know that they won't use any good glue... they come apart on their own :D . Really, I don't know, you could always try them and see if you can get the corner up easier and if you cant, just stop and try to figure out a better way.

DogP

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i swear, these taillights are gonna be the death of me!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey, the envelope next to this thread is flaming..... does that mean its gay?? or what?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my boy took his headlights apart over the weenend in his focus and painted all that chrome crap black, and now his sh!t looks tight as hell!!!! he spray tinted his lil orange signles in the grill, and the orange coners, so it looks all black. i never saw a spray tint job i liked, but the whole front of his car looks bad AZZ now, and i'm pissed!!!!!
i'm waitin for him to get a day off work so i can make him try to work on my tail lights.
i feel like i'm half retarted for not being able to get these apart cleanly! any new ideas?

·
pcload letter wtf is that
112 Posts
shot-gun? heh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts