Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up...

I have a 1994 Chevy S10 v6 4.3 Extended cab with 4x4. The 5 - speed transmission won't shift in and out of gear. I have replaced the clutch with kit # nu1950. Replace the entire hydraulic system. still no good. When i took the trans off i unbolted the trans from the engine and it was stuck so i unbolted the case ( i know stupid of me to do so) But the trans will shift in gears when engines off. I made sure the yellow things on the slave cylinder where detached.... What should i do? I'm out of ideas, its been 5 weeks., i really need help.... Very close to dropping out of school and losing my job...

any help is well appriciated..

John
[email protected]

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
so the problem only started once you changed your clutch? are you sure you bolted everything right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the original Problem was a throw out bearing, causing a really nasty noise. I bought the clutch kit from AutoZone, NU1950. Was taking it all off and got stuck on the guide pins. I thought maybe I would have to take the trans in half seeing that there where no bellhousing bolts.(Intergrated). So i un hooked the middle of the trans and couldn't completely detach it, only about 5/16" of an inch. Not even enough to really damage something ( I would think). So i called a friend he told me about the pins and just smack them until they let the trans free. Did that and got the trans out. I bolted the trans up properly and spun the input and switched into all gears. Went in just fine. Thought cool, i didn't mess the trans up and it should be all good. While inspecting the throw out bearing, it had welded it self to the quill, So I replaced the quill and fork. Put all the new stuff in, Pilot bearing, quill throw out bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and the ENTIRE (Maser cylinder and Slave Cylinder) hydraulic system. Put everything back where it goes and now the truck won't shift into gears while running, (Sometimes 1st and 2nd but it feels like you brakin' someting). I have bleed the system and looked through a service port it moves the fork a lot, i think the clutch is disengaging but the rear wheels countinue to spin and its not shifting properly....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Put the truck in first gear, push in clutch, start engine. Does the truck sit still or try to take off? I'm guessing the clutch disc is maybe in backwards, or maybe the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft is bound up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Well i looked at the new pressure plate and it has 1/4 less than on the diaphram spring. plus a machined flywheel (don't know about shim) could make it around 5/8 less than it should be... New flywheel or/and shims?

The car takes off, the pedal doesn't feel like it should too much free play, you can almost feel where it should hit the pressure plate, but doesn't.. keep in mind entire new hydraulic system and fork....

I don't know just an idea

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
ok you said the car takes off when you start it this means it still in gear.

and you did say you looked it the view port thing correct? it should be a bolt about the size of a silver dollar or so in the bellhousing buy the slave cylinder

it sounds like the slave cylinder isnt lined up with the clutch fork whitch would make the petal feel weird

it would still work it would just feel weird cuz there is no resistance
but it still travels

take out that lil view port ( or whaterve you want to call it) and make sure the slave cylider hits the clutch fork

-mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you meen by the pedal feels funny explain more. Does it have pressure or does it feel like theres no pressure until the pedal is almost at the floor (sloshy). Also is it grinding when you try and put it in gear or everything is stopped just wont slip into gear period when truck is on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truck won't slip into gear period, it feels as if something is blocking it. Engine bogs down a little when placed into gear. If i really try it will go into first. The pedal feels like free travel until it almost hits the floor, the slave and master cylinder are new and are adjusted properly. It feels as the throw out bearing isn't hitting the diapham spring correctly, Wrong pressure plate, incorrect shim placed behind flywheel, or wrong throw out bearing.... I'm still clue less, I have an experienced show looking into it and still no clues...

thanks again..

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up...

I have a 1994 Chevy S10 v6 4.3 Extended cab with 4x4. The 5 - speed transmission won't shift in and out of gear. I have replaced the clutch with kit # nu1950. Replace the entire hydraulic system. still no good. When i took the trans off i unbolted the trans from the engine and it was stuck so i unbolted the case ( i know stupid of me to do so) But the trans will shift in gears when engines off. I made sure the yellow things on the slave cylinder where detached.... What should i do? I'm out of ideas, its been 5 weeks., i really need help.... Very close to dropping out of school and losing my job...

any help is well appriciated..

John
[email protected]
Im no expert, but i have a feeling naybe you got a throw out bearing. that goes in the 4 cyl. Model. I believe it will fit on the fork but dosnt allow enough throw to disengage clutch...happened to me

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,334 Posts
Im no expert, but i have a feeling naybe you got a throw out bearing. that goes in the 4 cyl. Model. I believe it will fit on the fork but dosnt allow enough throw to disengage clutch...happened to me
If the op hasn't figured it out in 14 years, he never will. Please check the dates of the threads you're replying to, and let the dead ones rest in peace.

Closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.