Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm having my son's 1991 S-10/2.8/2WD towed home tomorrow (he's in school). It's been leaking/losing clutch fluid for a few months now and it finally crapped out. Any advice you can give me on tearing into this would be much appreciated. I just don't feel like shelling out the $700 the dealership wanted to fix it. One specific question, can I get to the slave cylinder w/out removing the transmission/bellhousing, etc.. (please say yes)...

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have yet to do that repair, but it looks relatively easy. No you don't have to remove any trans that I am aware of. I did see in LMC you can buy the entire hydraulic system, already bled and full of fluid, ready to bolt on. Look towards the bottom of the page.

Good Luck, James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update-
Towtruck dropped the truck off this afternoon about 5pm. By 5:30 had the slave cylinder pulled out. Ran to autozone and picked up another one. Had it installed and the truck driving by 7:00. It was a little tricky getting it bled. Just had to keep pumping the pedal, cracking the bleeder on the slave cylinder, drove it around a bit, pumped the pedal, bled, etc... It just took a while to get all the bubbles worked out.

$45 part and a couple hours labor. The Chevy dealership in Raleigh wanted $700 to fix.

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For $700, I bet they were going to replace the clutch itself also. James
You would think, wouldn't you. What he said however, is "the $700 would be to replace the MC and SC, and that would not guarantee the truck would be fixed. After that they could see if the clutch needed to be replaced. If the clutch needed replacing, it would be about another $700."

That's when I said, "yeah, OK, I'll have a tow truck pick it up." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I've had the same problem with my '87 2.5. The lowest price quote I got for it was $400 and they said they were being conservative and it would probably cost more. I let it the truck sit for a couple months then today finally decided to fix it. My symptoms sound exactly like yours, so I'm hoping my fix will be as easy.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Update-
Towtruck dropped the truck off this afternoon about 5pm. By 5:30 had the slave cylinder pulled out. Ran to autozone and picked up another one. Had it installed and the truck driving by 7:00. It was a little tricky getting it bled. Just had to keep pumping the pedal, cracking the bleeder on the slave cylinder, drove it around a bit, pumped the pedal, bled, etc... It just took a while to get all the bubbles worked out.

$45 part and a couple hours labor. The Chevy dealership in Raleigh wanted $700 to fix.

Rick

The exact reason why you can buy a complete SC and MC already bleed. Bleeding our clutch can be a pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The exact reason why you can buy a complete SC and MC already bleed. Bleeding our clutch can be a pain.
Your not kidding. I just put in a new master and slave tonight in my 95 and I can't get the damn thing bled to save my life. Is there a way to do it with one person or do you have to have someone pump the pedal when you open the bleeder?

I finaly got tired of messing with it and called it a night.

·
Yes, those are my feet
630 Posts
I jut put a new master in my 91. it was rusted out but the slave was still okay... I installed the master without bench bleeding it, i also took the flexible line out and the reservoir and cleaned them both out completely. I installed the master, line and reservoir and filled with fluid. I had someone pump the clutch while i held a finger over the exit hole. by keeping pressure on the hole with my finger, only air and fluid under pressure was able to escape and couldnt suck air back. as soon as I was getting only fluid, we stopped pumping. I then hooked up the hard line to the slave, and bled that... worked the first time, no muss, no fuss

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm brand new to this forum and I know this is an old thread. But I need to know how to get the clutch push rod off of the pedal. I can't get in a good position to see it but I can feel it. Any advice or a picture would be appreciated. It's a 91 S-10 4cyl

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,358 Posts
You should start a new thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.