S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on my way to WV, from NC, as soon as i crossed over into wv i was going 55mph thru the tunnel, when i tried to get it up the posted speed limit (65) the truck started reving up and the speed slowly got back upto 65, than i would have to let off the gas to get the rpms to go back down for the tranny to shift into overdrive, everytime i hit the gas it seemed to be slipping, so i pulled off the road and had a wrecker tow me 125 miles back to the house, i also noticed the tranny fluid on the dipstick had bubbles in it, like it was foamy or something, also with the truck running or turned off its showing the tranny fluid about 3-4 inches above full. here is a pic, were my finger is, thats how far the fluid is up on the dipstick....any ideas, btw its a 1998 2.2 auto..

john

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
I really dont know much about auto trannies.....but maybe the filter is clogged up or something?? How many miles is on it and have you changed the tranny fluid/filter before? I would start out by dropping the tranny pan, and changing the filter, look for anything that might be broken...and fill it up with the right amount of ATF and go from there. Sorry I cant be much help.

·
Old School Member
12,166 Posts
chevync said:
I was on my way to WV, from NC, as soon as i crossed over into wv i was going 55mph thru the tunnel, when i tried to get it up the posted speed limit (65) the truck started reving up and the speed slowly got back upto 65, than i would have to let off the gas to get the rpms to go back down for the tranny to shift into overdrive, everytime i hit the gas it seemed to be slipping, so i pulled off the road and had a wrecker tow me 125 miles back to the house, i also noticed the tranny fluid on the dipstick had bubbles in it, like it was foamy or something, also with the truck running or turned off its showing the tranny fluid about 3-4 inches above full. here is a pic, were my finger is, thats how far the fluid is up on the dipstick....any ideas, btw its a 1998 2.2 auto..

john

I don't know much about trannies either man but that's sucky...i know where you broke down at because i work in NC a lot with my company and we travel down I-77 from Charleston,wv and go through Winston-Salem... but we work out past the Raliegh-Durham area, but if a tranny was gonna go or slip... drivin through those damn mountains in Va & Wv would put it to the test... hope ya get it figured out.. and that tow bill SUCKS:axe:

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
truck just turned 73,000, i bought it little over a year ago and it was leaking tranny fluid so they changed the filter and put on a new gasket..ive had the oil changed a few times and i think they might have over filled the tranny fluid, cold or hot it reads about 3-4 inches above that on the dipstick, so me and my uncle are going to pull one of the lines going to the radiator and drain some out, since i had it towed in ive been driving it and its been doing great, only done it that one time when it was hot, plus i ran thru va about 80mph..lol (I love VG2)...and the wrecker bill, id rather pay 275.00 to have it towed, then make it any worse by trying to drive it back home...Monday morning im getting AAA!! lol

Also: fmfredrider501, im sorry i didnt get that bumper upto ya, ill try to come in around xmas abd bring it with me....

john

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
hey man i have a 99 2.2 automatic...my truck does some wierd stuff at speeds 45-55 mph....while driving in overdrive it acts like it will shift in and out....as it shifts the rpms will rev up for a 1-2 seconds then go back to normal...its been doing this for several thousand miles now...and some times the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light will come on...I took it to Autozone to get the code...i cant remember the code right off hand but it was something to do with a transmission display lamp short circuit whatever that is....but if you drive it in gear 3 it has no problems but sucks more gas....i dunno i really dont have any cash to get it checked into.....if it goes then i guess it will be sitting in my yard for a while...by the way another member said his did this for 25,000 miles until he sold it

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have found out the hard way, there are issues with the 4L60E automatic transmission. I don't anything about auto transmissions either, but it won't take much serching on the net to find out that you are not alone with these problems. Check the NTHSB or whatever it's called, and check the complaints and TSB's. Unfortunetly you won't find anything under recalls, that's because GM is making people like you and me pay for their design flaw.

I have a 97 and my transmission started to malfunction just after I bought it with 49,400 miles. If you have a SES light on, your frinedly neighborhood Chevy stealership will be happy to diagnose your problem for the low low price of only $79.99 And if it's a valve body job like I need, it only a small meger $780.00. So you see, Chevy will take real good care you us loyal Chevrolet buyers.

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
supercobraz said:
I have found out the hard way, there are issues with the 4L60E automatic transmission. I don't anything about auto transmissions either, but it won't take much serching on the net to find out that you are not alone with these problems. Check the NTHSB or whatever it's called, and check the complaints and TSB's. Unfortunetly you won't find anything under recalls, that's because GM is making people like you and me pay for their design flaw.

I have a 97 and my transmission started to malfunction just after I bought it with 49,400 miles. If you have a SES light on, your frinedly neighborhood Chevy stealership will be happy to diagnose your problem for the low low price of only $79.99 And if it's a valve body job like I need, it only a small meger $780.00. So you see, Chevy will take real good care you us loyal Chevrolet buyers.
4l60e is a v6 tranny. 2.2 has a powerglide or something. if you want that thing fixed right if there is a problem you know where to bring it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bet I get AAA before I hit the highway though...Momma didn't raise no fool round here...:D

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
2.2's have 4l60e's. They have a different bolt pattern than the 4.3's and a few less clutch packs inside due to the 2.2's lack of power but otherwise they use the same transmission.

·
zippy
733 Posts
he's correct, the 2.2 also uses a 4L60E. it uses only 5 clutches in the 3-4 and is overall a much weaker design than the 4.3 version. it sounds as if you may have killed the 3-4 clutches. we've replaced a few at work because of it. could be time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the trany in the 2.2L s-10's are junk. i was on my way to VA. from Ohio and i got 400 miles from my house and mine decided to crap out on me. so now beings it is laid up im going to drop an LT1 in it for next summer. :twiggss:

·
Registered
150 Posts
What's the difference in the 4L60E and the LT1 I've heard about on this forum?

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
MKR said:
he's correct, the 2.2 also uses a 4L60E. it uses only 5 clutches in the 3-4 and is overall a much weaker design than the 4.3 version. it sounds as if you may have killed the 3-4 clutches. we've replaced a few at work because of it. could be time for an upgrade.

I can get into it right now and run 80mph and it doesnt slip at all, only when it gets hot...BUT if it is crap im going to put a 5 speed into it for now, i miss my standard..lol Will a tranny out of a 2.5 fit on the 2.2???

·
zippy
733 Posts
the LT1 uses a different bellhousing as well as 6 clutches in the 3-4. it also uses a different servo and much higher pressure/volume valve body/spacerplate calibration. the internals are similar, but basicly the trans behind a stock LT1 is about as strong as they came for that time period. as for you're truck chevync, good to hear it's up and running again, but i wouldn't work it hard. it's likely to repeat itself.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still need to drain out some of the tranny fluid, im thinking it has about a quart to much in it, probally do that thursday morning when i get paid...

·
Not an O.G.
670 Posts
db machine said:
hey man i have a 99 2.2 automatic...my truck does some wierd stuff at speeds 45-55 mph....while driving in overdrive it acts like it will shift in and out....as it shifts the rpms will rev up for a 1-2 seconds then go back to normal...its been doing this for several thousand miles now...and some times the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light will come on...I took it to Autozone to get the code...i cant remember the code right off hand but it was something to do with a transmission display lamp short circuit whatever that is....but if you drive it in gear 3 it has no problems but sucks more gas....i dunno i really dont have any cash to get it checked into.....if it goes then i guess it will be sitting in my yard for a while...by the way another member said his did this for 25,000 miles until he sold it
That's crazy, that's exactly what's happening to my truck. So nobody knows why this happens or how to fix it? If this is so common then someone on here must know what to do. I really focking hate driving in 3rd!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think it's an easy quick fix unless you know something about automatic transmissions. My problem stems from sediment build up in some stupid valve or something, it has something to do with external sensors. So unless you have the right equipment, it may be difficult to fix yourself.

But I do have some good news..I just saved a ton of cash on my truck insurance by switching to Geico...LOL....I've been dieing to say that. I'm not making fun ok...I have to take mine in for a valve body job ($780) The car lot I bought it from is paying for it, but I still have to pay for the damn O2 sensor and some other things.

I tell you, on my 94 2.2 manual, it was a peice of crap. my 95 4.3 manual, never had more then some minor problems and I didn't really take good care of it. But this 97 looks very clean on the inside, outside and under the hood, but so far I've had to replace the alternater, battery, problem with the transmission, Bank one O2 sensor and now the light is on again for an O2 sensor. Not to mention the top latch on the 3rd door is not working so that will be another $115. So, 2 or my 3 S-10 have been not so good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts