S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the plastic steering column covers on my truck but i can't figure out how to get the bottom piece off.

I have taken out the screws on the bottom piece and it is dangling loose, but the tilt steering handle goes right through a hole in it and I can't figure out how to get it off! By the looks of it I need to remove the tilt handle, but I'm not sure how to do this. Anybody done this before with the tilt column??

Help.........

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
usually the handle is just screwed in...the only problem with this is that they are in there very tight..u will need some vise grips to unscrew it....i usually put some thing around the lever before unscrewing to try to avoid damaging the lever....what i just told u is how the levers are put in cavaliers...this might not be the way its done on s-10's...if it isn't usually the top will come off and reveal a screw u can undue...this is the way others cars make it so u can undue the handle

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since no one here seems to know I might as well share what I found out...

All you have to do is get a small flat screwdriver and work it around the edges of the handle where it attaches into the steering column and eventually it will just pull right out. Start by wedging it in on one side then do the same to the other side. Installation should be as easy as just pushing it back in!

·
Super Moderator
4,755 Posts
you just pull that little handle straight off, lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes and no... You must gently pull while prying around the edges of it otherwise I'm sure you would get the handle out, but probably bust the plastic housing it goes into. So in otherwards, be careful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts