S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your guys help on buying an s10, what's a good year, good mileage, and preferred engine. I want to get a manual though. Thanks!

·
Been there Done it
7,065 Posts
Tell us a little something about your location, intended use, mechanical experience, and budget. Do you need 4wd?
2 basic facts:
Don't get a 4 cylinder if you want it to be fast. They can get great gas mileage.
Don't get a 4.3 if you want good gas mileage. Still won't be fast, but not as slow as a 4 cyl.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
4 cylinder 2wd will be the easiest to find with a stick shift. I'd stick with trucks built in this millenium. The VIN 5 (8th digit) engine trucks are pretty robust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell us a little something about your location, intended use, mechanical experience, and budget. Do you need 4wd?
2 basic facts:
Don't get a 4 cylinder if you want it to be fast. They can get great gas mileage.
Don't get a 4.3 if you want good gas mileage. Still won't be fast, but not as slow as a 4 cyl.
I'm in California and only need 2wd, my budget is around 5000, and maybe later into the year, and I only on doing aesthetics to it (rims)

·
the new guy
701 Posts
way less. between the two trucks i have (both needed some work) i paid only 1500. i havea 98 stepside with factory sport packge as mine. its a single cab 4 cylinder and 5 speed and i love it. the other is a 92 with a small v6 with 5 speed and its an extended cab with straight bed. both are short beds.

i would totally look for a 4 cylinder 5 speed with the zq8 sport package on it. its fun to drive and gets 20mpg in all city driving. the zq8 will be on a sticker on the glove box door. the sticker will have a ton of little 3 digit codes on it and if you find one with ZQ8, that's what you want.

that little 2.2 4 cylinder is a good engine and lots of support for it. its the engine from the cavaliers so its easy to find parts and they are cheap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
way less. between the two trucks i have (both needed some work) i paid only 1500. i havea 98 stepside with factory sport packge as mine. its a single cab 4 cylinder and 5 speed and i love it. the other is a 92 with a small v6 with 5 speed and its an extended cab with straight bed. both are short beds.

i would totally look for a 4 cylinder 5 speed with the zq8 sport package on it. its fun to drive and gets 20mpg in all city driving. the zq8 will be on a sticker on the glove box door. the sticker will have a ton of little 3 digit codes on it and if you find one with ZQ8, that's what you want.

that little 2.2 4 cylinder is a good engine and lots of support for it. its the engine from the cavaliers so its easy to find parts and they are cheap
What’s a good mileage for a s10 though? 100,000?

·
the new guy
701 Posts
it depends on where you live. here, my 98 has 160k and the 92 has 180 or 190k and they are low mileage for my area. the closest big city to me is 125ish miles one way so people rack up miles on cars here, quickly. most of the s10s i had looked at before these had 200-300k on them and the people had them priced like low mile units because people still pay a premium for high miles if the truck is clean looking.

i see them all the time in the big cities with 100-150k for 2-3k and they have extended cab with power windows and locks. mine is a manual truck, the way i like them. no extra electronics to keep up on

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I like the 2002.5 & newer trucks with the Double DIN dash. GM had them pretty well sorted out by that time and didn't upgrade them much more from there.

100k S10 is a real low mileage. I'd be almost worried they haven't been driven enough at that low. The main things that wear out on these trucks is the bushings, ball joints, shocks, and steering linkage. A higher mileage truck will freshen up quite a bit just replacing the loose suspension parts.

For engines loose timing chains on the 2.2s are a common complaint. 4.3s are the lower intake gaskets. They're all pretty easy to work on and a good tune-up and replacing leaky gaskets will give it reliable life for awhile.

Check out @BravadaX thread on all his trucks to get an idea of how easy it can be to maintain and update an S10.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
The main thing I would avoid is modified trucks... I would pay more money for one that is bone stock. My truck is no where near stock, but I know all of the changes I made. I know that what I've done isn't going to suddenly fail, and when something wears out, I know what parts I used. I wouldn't buy my truck if I was someone looking at it, but that's okay because this thing is with me for life.

·
electric S10's rule
851 Posts
When you are ready I have a nice 99 S10 3 door with 153k miles 2.2 w/ 5 speed has 18s with new tires, stainless steel brake dust shields, dual hump cowl hood, M3 mirrors , blazer rear disc brake conversion, underdrive pulleys, flush tonneau cover new battery and alt . This was my baby but I have bought a new RAM. I still have my electric S10 thou. Willing to deliver for $1 a mile and /or help if you want to get a shipper IF everything is paid for up front. $3500 Currently this is the only pic I have of it because my computer crashed and I can't find any pics here of it but they are on here somewhere.

·
Administrator
21,756 Posts
When you are ready I have a nice 99 S10 3 door with 153k miles 2.2 w/ 5 speed has 18s with new tires, stainless steel brake dust shields, dual hump cowl hood, M3 mirrors , blazer rear disc brake conversion, underdrive pulleys, flush tonneau cover new battery and alt . This was my baby but I have bought a new RAM. I still have my electric S10 thou. Willing to deliver for $1 a mile and /or help if you want to get a shipper IF everything is paid for up front. $3500 Currently this is the only pic I have of it because my computer crashed and I can't find any pics here of it but they are on here somewhere.
View attachment 335872
If you want to sell him your truck, take it to pm's or post in the Flea Market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts