S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an old fender and preped it to do a practice flame Tribal) job. It turned out looking pretty mutch the way I wanted (I still need practice on the fade at the edge.) The problem that I have is that the edge of the flame has a pronounced ridge. I tried to cover this with pinstriping (which I really suck at) and it didn't completely cover the ridge. I tried a second time, putting as little paint on as possible but when I compounded the area as a last step I burned through the paint to the base color. (Actually it looked pertty sic but I don't think I can get consistant results)

But what I am lookin for is how the professionals get rid of the ridge. Anyone out there have any experience?

When I get ready to do the front of the truck I'll take some pics and post them. If anyone has a flame/tribal scheme that they would like to share I'm open for suggestions. I can do the mechanical part of the paint process, it's the creative part (designing the scheme) that gives me the problem.

Thanx

Rick
'92 S-10 Tahoe 4.3L Bone Stock

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
well I am not by far a paint nor body guy...but I do my best...I would try wet sanding it, not to much, but I would certainly think it would help...I have often wonder this same question but I haven't tryed it on anything yet.:eek:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it!

Well, I got off my lazy butt and did my homework. I went to the library and got a book on flame painting. What the book says to do is to clear coat and wet sand. I'm gonna giv it a try but I think that it is goin to work.

Thanks for the input and next time I'll try not to take the lazy way out and do my homework before I ask!

Rick
'92 S-10 Tahoe 4.3L Bone stock

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
how thick

of a piece of tape are you using? Maybe the tape is too fat too?

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tape

I'm using 3-m (I think) 1/8" auto masking tapr for the edge. Next time I go to the paint shop I'll check on thicknesses and see it they have anything thinner.

Are their several thicknesses available?

Rick

·
Registered
224 Posts
bout time!!!

Finally, something I am an expert at!!! You hit the nail on the head when you said clearcoat. To get rid of the edge, you have to clearcoat the entire panel(2-3 coats), wetsand(I use 400,use from 400 to 600, nothing finer or you'll get adhesion problems), if you want to add a pinstripe(you should, otherwise they look unfinished) now is thetime to do it, before another session. after striping another clearcoat session(2-4 coats again), sand again with your chosen grit, and clearcoat onemore time. At tis point, your edge should be pretty mellow, and when you kolor sand it and buff it, it should pretty much be gone. after your last clear session, feel the edge, if it is still kinda high(ifyou put pressure on it while youre rubbing it with yur finger and it stops it-it's still too high) your'e going to need another clear session. Remember that if it is mellow, Kolor sanding and rubbing it should takecare of it. As far as pinstriping goes, use only paint intended for pinstriping, as there truly is a diference. House of Kolor offers urethane striping enamel, and it is clearcoat compatable, however kolor choice is really limited. One-shot is probably the fav of stripers everywhere, but to make it clearcoat compatable, you have to add some of the same hardener that you add to your clearcoat, and let it dry at least 24 hours(I wait 48) before clearing. as far as striping goes though, if you haven't done it a lot, leave it to a professional, as a sh-ty stripe job will truly ruin an otherwise nice paint job. Good Luck!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
jus a rice!

Its my only only employees car. The first hes ever built, I painted it up for him. It's a chick magnet....hahaha

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You 're the man!

Thanks for the help! I like one shot but I can't mix worth a damn. I think I'll leave the pin striping for a pro. I'll give all your advice a try when I get a free weekend and do some more painting!

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
nice paint job...i almost thought it was the way the sun or light was reflecting on the front but what is that on the front....from what i can tell it looks like somekinda face......looks good whatever it is

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its...

Its a Tiki head, oldskool ya know? And for a motor its just a 305. See, its just a daily driver-a real nice daily diver!

·
Registered
821 Posts
a caprice is the next car i want:) what kind of bumber cover is that?

·
Registered
821 Posts
if its not too much trouble could you get some more pics of the bumper cover, i have an idea and need to see some other angles. thanks:)

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
Its a caprice, its got 4 doors...

Greg G.

·
Registered
224 Posts
uh yeah...

It is a Caprice. But an Impala also has 4 doors...lol
The bumper is a California Custom USA bumper. Just look in any truck mag and they have an ad somewhere

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
Why was I thinking the Impala was a 2 door? Ive seen quite a few recently, and noticed they had 4 doors too. Oh well.

Greg G.

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Greg Groves said:
Why was I thinking the Impala was a 2 door? Ive seen quite a few recently, and noticed they had 4 doors too. Oh well.

Greg G.

oh well, even the best of us make mistakes!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts