S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new here and asking this on behalf of my brother. His 1994 S10's engine has crapped out at 78,000 miles, and we're trying to figure out the best way to proceed. He was actually looking to sell the truck and get something a little bigger, so if the answer is "sell it to me for $xxxx," that's fine, too.

I'm wondering how involved and expensive an engine swap would be. I don't know that it matters--it looks like all 94's were the 2.2L--but his is a regular cab, 2WD shortbed with AT. Can this be easily done? The engine bay doesn't look that cramped, but I've never worked on his truck before. The body's in good shape and everything, and the tranny was replaced a couple years ago, just before the warranty expired, so it would suck to let it go on the cheap or part it out.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but that looks like it's only geared towards swapping to bigger displacement motors. I should have actually stated that I'm looking to replace the engine and might be willing to swap in a different one if it ends up cheaper.

I'd rather not monkey with the transmission, though, because it seems like that would necessitate a new ECU and who knows what else.

My brother was already quoted $3200 for a new engine, including labor. If I can't do a lot better than that, it's probably being sold as a chassis only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts