S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an alarm on my truck and now it wont start. I unplugged everything that has to do with the alarm and still nothing. The battery is low but still cranks good. How can I check fuel? If anybody has any quick ideas please let me know.

·
Early Member
3,114 Posts
Your battery may be to low to completely start your truck. To check your fuel pump, turn the ignition on but don't start the truck. Listen for a slight buzz like noise, if you hear anything your pump is activated.

Also check your fuses.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear some noise in the tank. Checked fuses by door. Are there anymore fuses? Where is the fuel pump relay? **** this sucks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also checked for spark. took a plug out and it sparked

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i feel dumb. i guess it wasnt getting enough juice. maybe my alarm, its unplugged now. my buddy ran with jumpers for about 10 min then it cranked over. well thanks for the help. maybe time to get an optima and new alternator.

·
Administrator
21,543 Posts
Just went through this. Even if you can hear the fuel pump, it may not be putting out enough pressure. my 96 requires approx 45 psi to start and 30psi once running. An easy way to check is as follows... cycle you ing key on and off several times in rapid succesion without cranking. After about 5-6 cycles crank it over. Cycling the fuel pump several times fools it into building pressure. A parts man at NAPA told about this little trick and it worked. A new pump ia around $200-$300 depending where you buy it. Don't drop the tank...it's much easier to pull the bed. The whole job should only take 2-3 hours...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts