S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
fiveslashsix
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure there are a million posts on this so if you find one post a link..... having said that....

i have a 00 dash and i want to paint it black... i don't want to have to deal with sanding it and all that bullshit. All I know is someone told me there was some kind of interior paint or w/e that i could use with some sticky shit spray and it would be painted.

thank you

·
go for it
48 Posts
that stuff sucks it's a half ass way to get it done doit the right way and sand it and you will be much more pleased w/ the results

·
fiveslashsix
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nubs said:
that stuff sucks it's a half ass way to get it done doit the right way and sand it and you will be much more pleased w/ the results
that doesnt help me :eek:

i have 2 sets... ill do it the right way some other time. I just need the color now. kthaxbye

·
fiveslashsix
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95projectS-Dime said:
Plastic and Vinyl paint at walmart , waste of time and money though , looks like shit all rough and crap , but it is your dash , so have fun
thanks... i just want to see for myself what itll turn out like. i have every intention to do it the right way in 2 weeks:D

·
fiveslashsix
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2low2tow93 said:
just use filler primer...itll fill a lil but but ull still have texture...i sanded all mine down n my sonoma and tha blazer i have now...its not that hard 2 do...but ya its ur dash
hmmm.. so if i sand it down then spray some filler primer? i then could just paint it and the texture would be smooth is this correct?

·
blahh
1,392 Posts
it'll crack all to hell if its not glassed. and you use regular paint on it...and yes there is like a billion threads on this so just hti the search button...but it will def. crack even before installing the dash back in.

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
95projectS-Dime said:
Plastic and Vinyl paint at walmart , waste of time and money though , looks like shit all rough and crap , but it is your dash , so have fun
Not necessarily.

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
hutchS-10 said:
it'll crack all to hell if its not glassed. and you use regular paint on it...and yes there is like a billion threads on this so just hti the search button...but it will def. crack even before installing the dash back in.
Not neccessarily.

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
1st off, try to limit yourself to one thread started on the subject.

Secondly, black is the toughest color to paint. If the surface is not prepared properly, you will see every imperfection known to man.

3rdly, lol, you don't have to fiberglass everything to paint it. In the picture provided, only the area of the dash around the headunit and TV are fiberglassed. Everything else is plastic. If done correctly, you won't even see the transition between glass and plastic.

4thly, Walmart paints will not crack if you handle your item with care. All painted items should be held with care. All items painted will crack if the item is twisted or bent unless you have shot a paint through a gun where a flex addative is added to the quart of paint or gallon of paint along with the reducer.

Believe it or not but this dash bezel was shot with Walmart bought, Duplicolor rattle cans. Sinse then, I have seriously upgraded with professional grade guns and HVLP guns but, you can get a decent finish with a rattle can on smaller items such as the bezel. To make the clear coat glassy smooth, apply several lighter coats and then a 3rd and final coat that is considereably heavier. Be sure to always keep the can moving on this 3rd clear coat so you don;t stay in one spot too long and cause runs. You kow you have saturated the surface when the entire item looks very wet. Rattle cans have a tendancy to begin curing in the air during atomization before they even hit the part or they begin curing in one area while you're painting in another area which causes an overspray look and slightly rougher feel. Keeping the can moving and laying it on good reduced this factor some.

The resulting finish of a paint job is always directly related to the surface prep taken prior to. Meaning, don't rely on the filler primer to fill everything (oh, and Duplicolor filler primer is crap, doesn't fill like you think). Like I said, don't rely on it. Sand that plastic smooth as shit before anything goes on. Then primer it.

Steps I took for the below items.

-Sanded 120, 160, 180, 220, 320
-Filler primed and Wetsanded with 400 grit (continually alternate till baby ass smooth)
-Clean item and let dry with water
-Clean item with Prep-All or solution that removes any grease. (Believe it or not, some soaps have grease)
-Tack rag it
-2 light coats of color
-1 heavier coat of color
-2 light coats of clear
-last coat of clear goes on heavy
-Let cure 1 day to be safe
-Polish with Maguires wet wax and a microfiber rag.

This was shot with Duplicolor primer, paint and clear. Item was sanded baby ass smooth before primer even went on.

See my Teaching fiberglass Thread link in sig for more information.

·
Super Moderator
51,327 Posts
mmm.....sexy, what color is that nick?, like a medium charcoal metallic, looks alot like the color i used on my seat track covers

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
sdime98 said:
mmm.....sexy, what color is that nick?, like a medium charcoal metallic, looks alot like the color i used on my seat track covers
Gunmetal. The local paint supplier I bought my guns through used the spray can and sprayed a white piece of paper and then laser coded the paint. Now I have a gallon of Gunmetal that is Dupont, much better grade paint than Duplicolor. Vio told be about slick sand so I also picked that upi and giving it a try. In about a month or so I have the new dash done and a shit ton of update pics of all the interior pieces painted. Everything is getting redone. Even the stuff I shot with the Duplicolor already. Juuuuuust so I'm sure of color consistancy. Oh, well. I should have used the guns from the start.

Notice the Sig pic. Between the upper and lower colors of the 2 tone is a seperating pin stipe that wil lbe this same gunmetal color. Wrapping the interior to the exterior. Truck isn't painted yet. Thats just a photoshop of the scheme I'm going to do.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion to paint my dash trim. It's been painted for a few weeks now and holding up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
why do u need the dash painted now..... just do it when u get the time so it is done the right time the first time, and u dont waste time or money!!!

·
just one of those days
1,048 Posts
when i was doing my interior for my cav i sanded and everything and i messed it up but my friend used vynil dye, and that worked awesome i cant remember where he got it from but you can also have it matched to the paint of your car by giving the paint code

1 - 20 of 20 Posts