S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, could someone give me the basics of what drop I should get... I want a low truck, but I need it to be drivable on a daily basis. I don't usually drive long distances but do occasionally drive a couple of hours. Most of my driving will be around town. It has to be drivable in the winter, and I would like a fairly smooth ride. I think I would like a 3/4 (I'm not a big fan of rim tuckage, but definately don't like big open wheel wells), but I am confused on what all the things do, I know I can do a 3 in. drop in springs, and 4 in. drop w/ blocks, but do these ride bad??? They are so cheap, I figure they are probably crappy. I would also not want to have to modify my wheel wells, and I do have a set of xtreme gfx on and don't want them to scrape. Also how hard would it be to install something like this, or how much should it cost to have it installed. I was looking at http://www.godfathercustoms.com/cgi-bin/GFCstore/web_store.cgi?page=/DJM/djm_s10.html&cart_id=2618183_4162 , and saw a big range of drops, and I don't know which one I want. I plan on getting either 17" or 18" Boyd Timeless 5's in the spring, but I want to make sure I can still drive this with the drop with the factory rims/tires (for winter) without rubbing. I was told I need to cut the bumpstop brackets off too. What would you recommend if I did a combo of springs, spindles, leafs, and/or blocks. What do you all have and how does it drive. Where I live now, there are very few places that do drops/customizing, but I could probably find somewhere to get it done if I have to. Also where do you recommend to get the parts from (best brands for the best price). Sorry for the book and if you think I'm asking for too much, then please tell me what would be the best for what I want. Thanks,

DogP

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had mine lowered 2" for about 4 years, it rode same as stock, I then went to a 4/4 drop, using all Belltech, leafs,blocks,coils, and spindles. It rides a little stiffer, but still very well. I also cut the bumpstops out and used ZQ8 shocks. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and if you want a stock ride, or slightly rougher. I would suggest using spindles for the best ride.

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
on my 95 i had a 4/5 drop via belltech spindles, coils, leafs, blocks all on nitro active drop shocks and a full energy suspension bushings kit. the ride was stiff. i dragged it on my friends steap driveway but oh well. a 3/4 may sound pretty good. i ran 17's with my 4/5. i now have a 97 that i'll do the same drop to, using the same parts. instead i'm workin on getting a set of 18's with a 40 series profile. i've heard i can safely run a 225 up front, and wider in the rear (with correct backspacing) i suggest getting spindles and coils, up front. i would stay away from a 4inch block, maybe a set of belltech leafs and 1 inch blocks. (i personally don't care for a huge block) the spindles will help maintain suspension/stearing geometry. the ride quality will be stiffer. you won't need to adjust front wheel wells, although you will need to remove the rear bumpstop brackets. this can be done many of ways, easiest, maybe grinding out the welds, or cutting.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, Thanks... how about the install, is it really tough to do, or would I be able to do it myself. I don't have a shop, but I do know how to use tools (but definately no mechanic). If not, what is a reasonable price to pay to have it done. Also would 255/35/18's work with this drop, because I saw a set I liked, but I don't know if they will work (I know the speedo will be off). Thanks,

DogP

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey... I might be able to get a pretty good deal on some 17x8's, but could you tell me if some 255/50/17's would be fine on this drop??? I checked the size and it is the same height as stock, but wider. Thanks,

DogP

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
255 is a lot for the front......i think you will have major rubbage:drinkhaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts