S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In June of 2001 I bought my 1996 S10 SS. Then in July my buddy bought a 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0 SOHC 5 speed manual. A very quick truck. So off to the street we go. My truck is 4.3 auto. We raced I had the ****ty start of all time but he beat me by easily a truck length mabey a bit more. Any way my pride was hurt bad being beat by that ranger so I put a drop in K&N filter in it and removed my MaF screen popped of my fiberglass tonneau cover, dropped the tailgate and we gave it another shot. Well this time it was the same result but this time my bumper (front) was just behind his front mirror. Mabey 5 feet behind him. What else should I do other then exhaust (that's coming in very near future) to beat that ranger and shut my buddy up? After the race I had to hopefully get my pride back so I lined up against my buddy's 1998 Dodge Dakota sport 3.9 V6 5 speed. Well I was nervous because if I lost this one I was going to scream. Any way about 2 seconds into the race I realized there was no reason to be nervous after all I could already see his headlights in my rear view mirror. Just a disgusting victory for the BOWTIE. Any way please help me beat the EDGE.

B

·
0 Posts
i would say that a chip, exhaust, and intake and you should smoke his edge. you should also practice on better starts

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually my second race against the edge and the dakota I had awsome starts. I started a little tiny brake stand to warm up the torque converter and when the flag was dropped I was very happy with my start. Bumper to bumper with the EDGE and out in front of the Dakota in no time.

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
Intake, exhaust, ELECTRIC FAN, PP3, Pulleys. Those are some of the cheap mods that will get you there.

Greg G.:p

·
u drive n import i drive n S-10 BLAZER
5 Posts
cheap mods

hey man wus up i know how u feel i was that way for a while. started out with 97 S-10 blazer dumped every penny into making it look good. every body telling me i had a nice truck made me happy then got my ass whooped racing and they laughed me of the streets so back to the shop i went and spent money under the hood just read below and a few of my mods are listed. but don't get me wrong i am still not the fastest but i am not the slowest anymore either:D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Id put the tonneau back on Itll help having a little weight in the back. get a chip or the programmer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jesus dude, i understand how you must feel.
But i'm haveing a hard time trying to figure how a ranger beat you. I"ve raced v6 5spd Edges before and there was no challenege what so ever, from a dead start or a rolling start.
Even when i first got my truck in 99 and it was stock with 71,000 miles on it i never had a problem even with ranger with more mods then me.
Now that i'm modded a bit its nothing but a big joke for me to race any ranger, unless its got a V8 swap or turboed or something like that
You might try a B&M electronic Shift improver, it just wires up in like 30 minutes and cost about 35 bucks and decent difference that might help in the launch and in shifting once you get going, you should keep up better then.
Hope this helps

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
hey 1996SSs10 have ur cat checked out since ur truck is kinda old and im sure it has a little bti of mileage on it ur cat could be plugged that would cause some of the trouble ur alkin about if thats the case the drill it out, or get a good 3inch highflow cat

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re siphinfilter

Were the V6 EDGES you're talking about the 4.0l SOHC or the 3.0l V6. Huge difference. I can see running away on the 3.0's but the 4.0 's are fast trucks. My buddy also drives very hard and powers shifts well. Mabey that's the problem if I can find someone who isn't as good of driver I might have better success. Mine is an automatic so all I can do is mat it and hope it shifts well. The shift improver and or shift kit sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yup i'm talking about 4.0s
now if i was still stock the new ones might be more of a challenge but the was i sit now its no problem
Fast 4.0 i raced was a 98 splash 5 spd with cat back exhaust, flow master muffler, power programer, after market throttle body. cold air intake, cow induction hood, and a crane hy fire igniton, with a 4/3 drop and i got him by about 1/2 a truck length.
Like you said the driver makes alot of difference, i only drive stick shifts so i'm used to them and i've raced my truck alot
I know you can beat him , just might need a tune up and just a little more practice and some slight mods.

1995 S-10 blk ext cab.
4.3L TBI,5 spd, Custom tbi spacer, injector spacer, adjustable FPR, K&N Off road kit, MSD 6a ignition, Jacob electronics wires, Husrt competion plus shifter, no cat, 2 chamber flowmaster turned down before rear axle, 3.42 rear end

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
u got a auto right so buy a stall any automatic is better than a manual unless of course its a t56 also one thing to remember rangers just about all come with like a 4.10 rear so they usually get the jump but a s10 with always pull past unless of course he falls asleep at the light or sumthin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts