S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I'll start by saying my knowledge of working on vehicles is very limited. I don't expect things to be easy. I am poor but willing to invest everything I can. Please don't bash me if I use incorrect terminology or say something completely wrong. I am here for help. I have a tremendous amount of respect for older trucks and the work most of you do. I recently bought a 91 s10. It has a 2.8L V6 and is a 5sp. Im not looking to have a hot rod because I just can't afford it. I just want it to run nice and have more power. I've read that a 3.4L V6 off a Camaro from 93 to 95 will pretty much go right in with few changes. Is this a good option? If so, will the stock transmission work well with it? What other parts will I need to buy in order to do this swap? I'm also going to be replacing the clutch(most likely) when doing the swap. I would definitely like to upgrade the exaust as well. Going to have it painted once I know the thing isn't going to break down on me. I'm 32, pretty resourceful, and not one of the the people on here that are like "I have 500 bucks and want a hot rod". I, for the most part, understand what I'm getting into and just looking for a clean reliable s10 that can get up and go when I need it too. Oh, that old school digital dash is cool as a MF. I want one of those too. Lol. Anyways, any help you guys are willing to give is greatly appreciated. Just looking to avoid any more mistakes than I'm probably already going to make. I'm willing to swap it with something bigger than the 3.4 if it's not going to cost me a lot more money and a lot more downtime. Thanks.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,339 Posts
Welcome.
Since you're wanting to start with the basics, this has been moved to 2.8/3.4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Definitely the basics It currently has a 2.8 and considering swapping to a 3.4. I've spoke to a guy that has a 3.4. he is going to message me back in a few days when he is back in town. I want it done correctly so the motor will be be rebuilt before going in the truck. The truck currently runs. Little sluggish but runs and drives okay. Thing has like 300k miles on it. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I don't expect a mechanics help for free. I'm new to this area and just don't want to take it to a shop for everything. I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for some guidance.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,339 Posts
That's the thing about this forum...lots of knowledgeable people to help or point you in the right direction. Looks like a pretty solid little truck.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
There is a sticky at the top of the 2.8 forum that might help. If you look at my signature you can also see my swap on my 84.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts