S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Finally Slammed!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this kinda sucks, it was cool at first but got annoying realy quick. Ive had my 3 15"s in since Thursday, and they rattle the living shit out of my truck. Well now it seems like the metal on my roof got stretched or something from all the bass, and now you can almost hear my roof rattling around over my bass. It SUCKS. Is there anything you can do about that?

·
I drive the short truck
6,205 Posts
you will prolly need to do more than just the roof id think you would need to do the sheet metal under the rear window and at least some of the floor

·
AWD > j00
3,357 Posts
first off, dude, we're not in the same van, second, there have been independent tests of different dound-deadening materials, I contributed some for a test that spacemonkey did on CAF, see if you can find it in a search, what you need to look for is the shit that sticks the best first, and weighs the most, you need to add weight to your roof to lower it's resonance

pick up a heat gun, and clean your roof real good before you stick that stuff up there

·
2,116 Posts
AlmostSlammed said:
Alright this kinda sucks, it was cool at first but got annoying realy quick. Ive had my 3 15"s in since Thursday, and they rattle the living shit out of my truck. Well now it seems like the metal on my roof got stretched or something from all the bass, and now you can almost hear my roof rattling around over my bass. It SUCKS. Is there anything you can do about that?
If it's a extended cab you more than likely broke the middle support bar loose frome the factory sealant/glue that is stuck between it and the roof. Under normal driving conditions it holds pretty good. The minute you put some heavy bass in your truck the vibrations will loosen the material all allow the bar to "slap" against the roof everytime the bass hits.

A quick fix is to apply some clear silicone in between the support bar and the roof sheet metal. But you will need to deaden the roof because it's all thin sheetmetal. I used two layers of no name deadening material purchased from here:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-020

It's the same exact stuff as dynamat w/o the name or high price.

After adding the deadening material I also ran a thick bead of silicone under the support bar.

The roof is the biggest problem followed by the cab wall and doors. The floor isn't a major issue with rattling because it's pretty strong metal and has lots of curves and shapes in it . I used cascade V-block on mine but if I did it again I would just use one layer of deadening material.

And lastly my doors. I used two layers of deading material on the inner skin and one big layer on the outside where the door panel sits. The biggest problem the the outside skin so at least deaden that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts