S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! I am new to the forum here, so please bear with me. I am travelling from Maryland to San Antonio and made it to Biloxi, Mississppi tonight. My '92 S10 4x4 blazer (4.3 V6 "z" code TBI auto trans) started acting funny just outside of Atlanta this morning. I began to notice a "lurching" feeling--almost like I had gotten a bad tank of gas or something. So I dumped in some fuel treatment, no improvement. I also began to notice that when I accelerate hard I spew a little puff of black smoke out the tailpipe (not blue, very black). Fuel mileage is down from 17 to 7. Symptoms are not constant, they come and go. It will run fine for a few minutes, then run like crap for awhile. Oil level looks fine. Coolant looks fine. It has got to be unburned fuel that I am spewing out. I don't know how the choke system is designed, but I suspect that for some reason the choke is stuck on. Can someone tell me how I would go about looking for loose connections, etc. that may be involved with this system?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
More than just that. Sounds like possibly a blocked cat, take a look when they get that bad they will do that and they get sometimes so hot that they are red. Other things can do it too, but start there. Runit and see how hot it gets.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Also could be a problem with your map sensor or the vacume line to it. or maybe your o2 sensor. there isnt really a choke on the newer trucks its all controled by the computer. if all else fails reset the computer and see what happens. to do that you need to unhook one of your battery cables for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Tonight I replaced the plugs and wires, no change. Tomorrow a.m. I will do the O2 sensor and try to make it to San Antonio. If the O2 sensor is not the problem, then I'm off to the dealer for their opinion...
I ran the engine for a long time tonight; the cat did not seem to get overly hot. Anything else I can try?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts