S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a gen 2 s-10 3 days ago, trans was replaced before i bought, when i test drove it, was fine, had power, gauges worked, speedo worked, was right on. Now, cold starts, a little difficult, gauges work fine, until warms up then water temp gauge goes bizerk, check gages lite comes on, speedo seems to be inaccurate, oil press. guage jumps, stays accurate above idle, voltage is about 14.7+-, gas gauge is innacurate(doesn't drop on point) speedo starts working about 10mph, doesn't show de-acceleration accuratly. Replaced coolant temp snd/unit, no fix, leave unplugged, will not start, plug in, starts fine. doesn't have same get up and go, lacks power from 1st test drive. goes back to normal every once in a blue moon, for a few secs or a few mins, then goes nuts again. checked voltage at temp sending unit, grounded/powered at unit= 5v grounded on frame/powerd by lead .02-.04v .. assuming short somewere, anyone have a clue were to start, could it be ECM? PLease help, trying to put new 20's on it, and not look like a idiot,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weird, works fine in cold weather, its like 35 in va, once it warms up, the oil pressure drops down to like 30 at idle, and the water temp doesn't move. i don't know if its a short, a cooling and oil problem or what, the gas and voltage seem fine, but the left side starts acting wierd once she is warm? any tips? ack. thinking about just putting a better ground for a day and maybe changing thermostat... but the oil pressure is bothering the hell out of me... is that typical for the 94-95 4.3?

·
Early Member
3,136 Posts
Changing the oil viscosity might help with the pressure.

·
4,755 Posts
if you only had it three days, take it back and tell them to fix it before you buy it. Y ou have 7 days to back out of a binding contract...............

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, its putting me between a rock and a hard place, i need the transporation, like the truck but don't want it to die on me, i am thinking about changin the oil pump and thermostat today or tommorow to see if it helps. Guy was supposed to mak sure all was good before i took it home, and well... homey screwed the pooch i think... I am going to call him today.. see whats up with what. weird though, didn't have this problem what so ever the couple of times i test drove it, seemed warmed up and rockin... but doesn't knock, or coolant doesn't boil over.. is a whacky one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts