S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 91 stripped in may '90. Five spd, no air, crank windows, etc. And, no radio.

The time has come, but I'm stuck. Weren't all factory installed with a wiring harness? I just put an antenna on today. Can't find a socket to save my butt. Were any of these built w/o the harness?

Also, I'm guessing since the grills are on the dash there is some kind of speaker in there (??)

Thanks,

Seth

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
There is probably not a plug in. They probably didnt make radio provisions in your wiring harness from the factory. And I bet under the speaker grills are thick pieces of paper screwed in like a speaker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On all Trucks delivered to the dealer without a radio kit.. you will find No spkrs or spkr harness for that matter. No Cable for the antennea either. the only wiring will be a black plug containing a yellow, a grey and a black wire. Now this plug and wiring color scheme will be dependant on what production year the truck is. there may also be a plug with an orange wire and a black wire in it. but it is highly unlikely if the truck was ordered sans radio package. In a truck without pwr anything especially A/c it is most likely you only will have the first mentioned plug.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IctSean said:
On all Trucks delivered to the dealer without a radio kit.. you will find No spkrs or spkr harness for that matter. No Cable for the antennea either. the only wiring will be a black plug containing a yellow, a grey and a black wire. Now this plug and wiring color scheme will be dependant on what production year the truck is. there may also be a plug with an orange wire and a black wire in it.
Thanks for that info!! Where would I find this plug?

Already added an antenna and bored a hole for the wire.

It was bought in May 90, but is a 91 E code.

Thanks.

·
LT. Morgan
9,399 Posts
My 90 had NOTHING, no speakers, no harness, speakers or anything good luck, its a BITCH to get that antenna wire run, but wires can be pulled easily to hook up speakers I had no trouble doin that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's mine exactly. Didn't have trouble with the antenna though. I put it on the right fender, stock location, then underneath heater motor. Drilled a 1/2" hole just under the top of the floor covering (read somewhere here that was the stock run) and pulled the wire through. Slipped a 1/2" rubber grommet over it and pushed it into the firewall. Black siliconed the hole and grommet from the engine side after getting the antenna wire in place. I used black zip ties and some of those RadShak self stick cable loops.

Biggest bitch was getting the DEH to go back into the dash very far. The Metra kit totally sucked, so wound up buying the Scosche kit. The rounded front was nicer too.

Neither kit allowed a DIN install. Probably Pioneers fault, though, since the metal tabs end before the extended install kit does. Anyway, I think the screw in mount is sturdier.

·
LT. Morgan
9,399 Posts
i could never find the hole in the floor...I guess that woulda made things easier. I got a 1.5 DIN Jensen (a really good deal) and everything slipped right into place and I didnt need any other stuff it install it. But now 2 years later, I'm having some sort of trouble (no sure what) just yet I think one of my connections has broke loose. Everything else should be pretty easy to run. Did you buy 4x10's for the other speakers??? If not, then don't I tried them out 2 or three different brands and just found them to be an awful size of speakers that didnt sound very well (not even pioneer, the 4x6 Pioneers that I put into the dash are great tho) Opt for some 6x9 truck boxes (like $30 from CF) and put them behind the seat and get some decent 6x9's they sound a helluva lot nicer than the 4x10's that will fit in the stock location.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to drill the hole. Pulled the top of the mat down two inches. Just bought a cheapo ($3.59) hole saw for wood and punched it through. Then the silicone on the rubber grommet keeps the cancer away.

I put Pyle 4x6's in the dash. Instead of dropping them underneath (plastic rattle), I jig sawed the opening out and mounted them through the top. Then I put the grill covers on them. STILL had a prob with the left butting against the A/C housing. Threw some polyester batting underneath them for po' boy's baffle. Sound good enough in a tin box.

For the behind the seat stuff, I got some Sony 6-1/2 3-ways. Still trying to figure where, how and how high I can mount them behind the seat. Nothing there to screw into without poking screws through the back of the cab, best I can tell.

Right now my plan is to get the rubber on the wall then cover it with some kind of panel. Maybe tweed or vinyl over some 1/4-inch plywood. Any other ideas?

BTW- Is your dash cracking yet? Got just one (not bad for 14 years) about 3/4 on the pass side just below the speaker grill. I can't figure the best fix (!?!?)

·
LT. Morgan
9,399 Posts
My dash split inthe very corner fromthe corner of the speaker grill to the windshied this summer (15 years, truck was brought in 89 by dad brand new) on the drivers side tho IDK the best fix for it tho. I havn't had any trouble with rattling in my fronts. Are you goin to add subs ??? If so, why dont u buide a custom box and rig up some way to work the 6.5s into it...I'm not sure how would be the best way to do it maybe add in some sort of divider in the box and seal it off to mount them it may not be the best way but it could possibly look hot. IDk waht else to do the 6.5s may be a little to big to fit so that they are pointing up bc of seat clearance (at least in a reg cab, what do you have??) my truck is a reg cab with no trim behind the seat so i hve little gaps behind my door frames Im not sure if your truck is the same, but it might be hot if you could find a way to work them up in there with like some sort of box on a stand or a box taht would fit up in there and maybe angle out just abov th seat and be at like a45 into the cab (could be killer on the ears to) that would probably look sick too.

·
Aftermath (Canuck side)
346 Posts
I guess i had better luck with mine... Maybe our canadian models are more luxurious LOL.. But ya, mine had a wirin harness, it also had an antenna plug with it. Sorry to hear you boys/girls had to go through more trouble. I've never heard of them not coming with A wiring harness...

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
No it would have needed a radio prep package.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i hve little gaps behind my door frames Im not sure if your truck is the same, but it might be hot if you could find a way to work them up in there with like some sort of box on a stand or a box taht would fit up in there and maybe angle out just abov th seat and be at like a45 into the cab (could be killer on the ears to) that would probably look sick too.
I have an inner wall that starts just below seat height and curves around to the door frame. My body shop guy says his full size is similar, though it has all plastic dressing. Says the thing to do is find a way to "hang the speakers" there. That would put them just below the top of the bench seat, so not so intense.

Separate front and rear faders would be nice for a rig like that!

Anyway, I have radio --in the dash and working. BTW- those Sony's are 5-1/2 not 6-1/2s, so they'll be easier to fit.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
I made a plywood box and put it in the area you are speeking of. Just below the finished area and below the seat line. I use 4x10, not the best but OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just an idea, my truck came with holes cut in the back corner of the door (where the grll is usually on stock door panels) for 6x9's and they fit no problem and the window was still fully funtional.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at that a lot. In fact, have the door panels off now for paint, window trim replacement, etc.

The thing that bothers me is they are open to water more than inside the cab. Water goes down that window, even with good rubber and all. I don't know how I'd protect the cones from that.

Also, I don't want to rattle the door skins or entertain the outside. I am putting Peel & Seal in the door panels now and shooting the other places I can't reach with undercoat. ( I am just finishing a bout with bed-sides cancer and replacing a cab corner).

I am going to try to come up with something that will fit in there and curve with the panel. If I can, I'll do a photo play-by-play.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts