S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Been there Done it
12,420 Posts
You won't find a PDF because the factory manuals are copyrighted.
Anyone who says they have them on CD is lying. I've tried a few and a lot is left out.
Besides no one is going to sell you $300 worth of information for $5-10.
Haynes and Chilton are comic books only useful for starting a fire in your fireplace.
Ebay has the factory books, but once you enter the 21st century they get expensive.
Here's the cheapest set currently listed. $160 + shipping. Which is considerably less than most of the other 3 volume complete sets. Most want $3-400.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,316 Posts
Hey now...they make good birdcage liners...

·
Been there Done it
12,420 Posts
Out here in the sticks we leave the birds outside. We have a couple bird feeders on the front porch. This time of year a 50# bag of sunflower seeds lasts a month and a half. Come January we go thru that much every 2 weeks. They actually eat more than my 100# German Shepard, once the snow covers everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the replies. Very informative. Who knew birds could eat so much. It's a good thing they make Haynes manuals to line the cages with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So-o-o-o ... someone could make a lot of loot, by publishing a manual for some of the popular older S10s. LIKE : How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot by John Muir .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did have the thought to buy a set, scan them and have them on file if anyone needed them. Haven't committed to it yet though.

·
Been there Done it
12,420 Posts
That would take forever. There are a couple thousand pages in the average S10 FSM. They are also printed on relatively thin paper so you get a lot of see thru.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,316 Posts
I did have the thought to buy a set, scan them and have them on file if anyone needed them. Haven't committed to it yet though.
Ever hear of copyright??

·
time to get cereal
5,617 Posts
Plus, you'd have to rip all of the pages out to get a good scan. Not many people are going to do that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should probably start a different thread - you guys are talking about the dealer service manuals. The VW manual dosen't try to cover everything, (like the Haynes and the Chilton's). Unlike those books, it was a work of art. I have noticed that Chilton & Haynes seem to contain less and less information each year. I think the VW book is a fun read (if you are a gearhead), even if you don't own a volkswagon. ... and it is "for the Complete Idiot" so it should have a wide audience. I do like the Chilton's better because they use more drawings and illistrations, rather than foggy pictures where you can't tell what you are looking at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts