S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ok I have been planning on getting a tonneau for a while now and i serioulsy started checking into them this weekend and have come to found they do not offer many for 1st gen trucks.

I like the way flush mont tonneaus look but hear they leak...if it was only a little that would be ok. Any of your have the checkmates....only flush I can find for a 1st gen

I need suggestions and more importantly pics of some of these on 1st gen trucks...i do not want to order somethign I am going to hate. The truck is getting lowered and that so it needs to have a sporty look.

Open to all opinions as long it looks good and remember pics of them on 1st gen trucks is great.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
745 Posts
coverin the bed

I have looked at several models,and desided that the gaylords over the rail model is one of the best around.I really would not consider anything else.They are not cheap though,but are great quality.You might want to measure the width of the bed across the front and rear rails before you mount one,I found out that 1st generation beds are really crooked,mine was 1.5 inches wider in the front than in the rear!! I dont need to tell you what that does for fitting one of these things. Anyway ,because of high shipping costs to Germany,I have made me one out of 5 mm ,smooth ,aluminum sheet .It is flat but lays over the top of the rails,and you can paint it ,or cover it in vinyl,(I believe its the better way because of scratches and such).Made me a frame from alum.square tubing,and used hinges from an Audi hood.I will send some pics in about a week.It weighs about the same as the fiberglass model.If you have access to a good metal shop,it is something to consider.Being different is what counts.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I had a friend that had a gem top on a Dakota..they are steel tonneaus..his looked really nice. I am going to get a checkmate for mine. Because I am a cheap bish! lol..but I thought you might want to consider steel. I believe his was water tight and didn't leak..Just something to consider.

http://www.gemtopmfg.com/gt_Classic.html

Oh..and it was really flush to...almost as much as my Checkmate on my X!

·
pcload letter wtf is that
112 Posts
I bought a flush mount fiberglass one from checkerpro.com, fits great with mininimal leakage......just don't drive down dirt roads or you will have a garden in the back with all the dust it collects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts