S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't figure out which way to turn that big nut on the fan clutch. counterclockwise or clockwise. i am installing the flexalite 210 eletric fans. also any suggestions on mounting them. did you do throught the core or bolted them on the radiator flanges. also what did you do about the upper fan shroud, i know the bottom one comes out. do you actually cut the round part off the top fan shroud. or did find some pieces of metal to hold the top of the radiator from moving.

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i'll try to turn it couterclockwise after i get my wrench (i dropped it between the radiator and condenser coil and i can't find my stupid magnetic pickup tool)

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i still can not get it off does everybody agree that it turns counterclockwise. i wish some other people would voice there opinions. the pulley just slipps on the belt, i can not get anything to hold the pulley. why can't gm stick to normal parts. most fan cluthces have a damn bolt on flange. if i had that i would have everything off within 5 minutes. please respond

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
On a fullsize I did once, we were able to remove the whole water pump and fan clutch at once. However S10s are not setup the same. Is there anyway you can get a large screwdriver or pry bar in there to hold the pulley and keep it from spinning? If so that should help. If not, put the belt back on, and then get a buddy to hold the belt in place while you try to break it loose.

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
it is just like a normal nut (counter clockwise to remove)
leave the belt on,get a big wrench and hit the wrench with a hammer the shock will loosen it. if u still can't get it go to autozone and rent the tool for removing them.

·
import killer
2,470 Posts
check the way the water pump spins. i would say it turnes the oppsite way the pump does. this way if it ever comes lose in wont come off all the way. if i remember right it should be clockwise.

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
Twin-10s said:
it is just like a normal nut (counter clockwise to remove)
leave the belt on,get a big wrench and hit the wrench with a hammer the shock will loosen it.
do this and it will come off.

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys but i finally got it off. i took the belt off and used the craftsman belt clamp combination with a wrench on one of the pulley bolts and put a pipe wrench on the big nut and finally got it loose. i installed the fans and got the radiator temporarly mounted.

does anybody know about cutting the top fan shroud to fit so i can install it back to cover the gap between the radiator and condenser. i am open to any suggestions.

p.s. sorry for not responding back earlier i was out of town for christmas. oh and the fans cycle on and off fine with a 180f t-stat. and i had the fan setting switch set to normal. might have to reset when it starts getting warmer out

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah it spins off clockwise, i just got nervous when i broke one of the pulley bolts when i tried to keep it from moving. that damn thing is on there tighter then hell. thats why i kept asking to make sure i was turning it the right way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts