S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so I bought a 93 s10 with a 4.3. While messing around changing plug wires and checking some other stuff I managed to bump the coolant line that goes to the back of the intake beside the distributor. Any good ideas on how to get this out and after/if I get it out, can I just plug it off? I don’t plan on using air or heat in the truck but want to be able to drive it while I’m building my motor. Surely I’m not the only one this has happened to??
89C6B5ED-7B43-42B1-98BB-610088BC15AA.jpeg

·
Registered Hoosier
4,675 Posts
Those fittings are notorious for weaking to the point of breaking. Being at the rear of the intake makes access harder.
I don't know of an easy way. Just get the old one out, tap the hole 1/2' pipe IIRC, then replace it with a steel fitting. Worst case, you might have to pull the intake.

Reactions: JanssenCannon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those fittings are notorious for weaking to the point of breaking. Being at the rear of the intake makes access harder.
I don't know of an easy way. Just get the old one out, tap the hole 1/2' pipe IIRC, then replace it with a steel fitting. Worst case, you might have to pull the intake.
Thanks man, looks like a weekend project for me. Hopefully it comes out. Can i plug the hole off afterwards?

·
Registered Hoosier
4,675 Posts
Thanks man, looks like a weekend project for me. Hopefully it comes out. Can i plug the hole off afterwards?
You would have to plug your other heater hose also.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you leave the old fitting in and tap the hole for 1/4" pipe? Then you could just put a 1/4" plug in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you leave the old fitting in and tap the hole for 1/4" pipe? Then you could just put a 1/4" plug in it.
Possibly, if it will hold together. Gonna try everything I can think of this weekend. Aside from that, it runs great so I’m hoping it will be a painless fix

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pick up a set of " Spiral Extractors" from Ace Hardware...Pick the size that fits into the hole of the broken pipe. Tap it in with a hammer just enough so it bites when you turn it. Turn extractor counter clockwise and remove the broken fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered Hoosier
4,675 Posts
I've fixed a lot of those. I have never been able to get one out with an extractor. The material is some kind of die cast.

·
Been there Done it
9,225 Posts
Same experience here. There is some sort of galvanic corrosion process that nearly welds those fittings in place.
Easy out is the common name for those extractors and it's been my experience that they rarely work as advertised. I just drill and tap the hole for a steel pipe nipple. Which means pulling the manifold so you can flush out all the metal shavings. Your water pump will thank you. Besides the shavings can also contribute to clogging of the heater and rad.

·
Been there Done it
9,225 Posts
Read all the reviews for tips on how to use it. Everyone has a different way to do it. Most say it worked for them, but not quite as simple as it sounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts