S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, 85 s10 blazer 4x4, 2.8 liter, original roch carb. Trying To change fuel filter, fitting for the fuel line has been,
Unscrewed, but the gas line wont move,
Im loosening the inlet nut on carb, to get to filter out, but fuel line is still where it normally should be.except that the fuel inlet fitting moved a smidge down the fuel line. Can i just keep unscrewing the inlet nut out? Am doing this cause the blazer has been running like a slug, and its been backfiring through carb. While under load and as well as warm up, and accelerating at stop lights. Any advice on the filter problem would be much appreciated. Thanx :) ps, im a novice at best.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the nut the surrounds the fuel line, the nut that has the fuel line through it, is completely loose, but the line will not budge? Correct? You then moved to the nut that is attached to the carb.

Your question is, can you unscrew the carb nut while the fuel line is in place without damaging the fuel line? The answer is maybe. I would put some effort into moving the fuel line. It should pull straight out. Do you have the nut completely out and separated from the carb nut?

Next thing, backfires through the carb are not a fuel filter problem. That is normally one of three things that I know of.

1st, timing is way off
2nd, cam is worn and causing problems
3rd, timing chain is stretched and has jumped a tooth

The slug problem is or could be, the Rochester. There is one guy on this site that loves them and praises them. Most of us who have had the weber carb (after the Rochester) curse them.

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, yes, fuel line nut has been loosened, carb nut is almost out, suppose, i should retighten carb nut, then try to move fuelline, then remove carb nut. Well carb, is making rapid popping noise while driving, and truck now just shuts off when making left hand turns, when going slow, and as well as when going fast around a corner st redlights, thanks for your advice and knowledge, much appreciated!!!#

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
If you have the nut almost out, see what happens when you remove it. Replace the filter and retighten everything.

I doubt it will affect the popping, but hey I learn new things all the time. Any of the problems I listed above would be aggravated by a load on the motor. A load would be caused by the PS pump, the AC, or even just a hill. It would show the problem even more so.

Unfortunately the problems listed above are a pain to fix. A little bit of money, and a lot of labor. Keep us posted.
mark

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Tuna dood,
Mark is probably on the money, I would run a compression check and pull the valve covers to make sure all of the rockers are working properly. You may have a worn exhaust lobe on the cam or maybe a broken rocker arm or pushrod. It's pretty easy to check those possibilities.
Pix and results!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, on a limited budget, ah plights of the working man, haha, any chance can anyone tell me if there fitting at the fuel line, tightens flush against the fuel inlet nut on carb? I repaced fuel filter, got carb inlet nut secure, but the inlet nut off fuel line is secure, but i can still see some threads on.
it. Dont want to over tighten it..... should have taken a pic.... live and learn. Its a orig rochester 2 barrel, v6, 2.8 liter. Any help much appreciated, thanx.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
you will see threads. The nut on the end of the fuel line will not screw all the way in - some threads will show

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
Trying to upload pic of truck, hope this works :) gotta figure out how to resize pics,
Anyhow, here is a few.

Nice truck there man. There's still a lot of these old carbed trucks around still. So many on this site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing