S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal , i am new to this site and i have a problem where i dont have rear brakes in my 89 s10 4.3 blazer. I have changed everything in the rear (everythings new ) and still no brakes . I also changed the master cylinder to. The blazer has abs rear could that be the prob...THere is no abs light on though. I was thinking that i might just get a adjustable proportioning valve and bput it in b/c i think it might be the abs. HAs anyone had this prob and how did you fix it ...PLEase help my bvrakes smell and i am going through pads real quick...thanx

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
I am confused. You say you have no rear brakes. Does that mean that your rear brakes will not stop your wheels from spinning?

Which pads are you going through quickly, the front or rear?

Did you do something to your tryck and then your brakes stopped working, or did they stop working for no reason?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about supplying enough info but here it goes. I dont think the rear brakes not working has anything to do with the rear , i have replaced everything back there from cylinders to hardware to brakes. When i jacjk the vehical up in the rear and spin the rear brakes the rear wheels do stop but barely ( i can spin the wheel with my hands). Its not the rear brake adjustment either b/c ive tried it a million times and i have worked on the rar brakes b4. When i said my pads are wearing out i ment the fronts b/c i have no rear brakes it causes them to wear quicker. But like i said everything in the rear is normal and adjusted properly, i am sure of this. I Was thinking maybe there isnt enough pressure going to the rear brake cyclinders maybe the abs modual is causing some of this or the proportioning valve im just not sure. THe rear brakes stoped working for no reason at all one day.

I really need help this prob has been plauging me for months , ivbe replaced everything form the front brakes (caliipers, rotors pads ) to the rear(all hardware, shoes, wheel cylinders, drums) and i also replaced the master cyclinder. My next step is figuring out how to get rid of the abs thing maybe thats the prob...
Has anyone had this prob? Can i just eliminate the abs modual, i have all the tools to do it like brake flarring kits/ or can i get a new combo valve?if so where

Kep in mind my blazer is a 89 4x4 4.3 with rear only abs. and drums out back. Thank you for your time and patience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NAh , i thought that might be it but i can adjust the brakes so they lock up with the adjustment thing , but thats no good , i adjust them till they just start to rub a little , but they still dont work when i apply the brakes . THis problem didnt happen when i changed the brakes it happend one day just driving i noticed it . Ive done many brakes in my years so i know it might be a abs or combo valve. I just need to take the chance and put in a adjustable proportioning valve. ANy one have any ideas how to do this? But thanx anyways

N

·
0 Posts
My guess would be to tear it back down and press the brake and see if the wheel cylinder is coming out any when u press the brake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything in the rear is ok i checked everything , the wheel cylinders are new , they were new b4 i changed them to , i thought i just might have got bad ones but they are good . It has to be somthing b4 the wheel cylinders , they do come out when you press the brake but when i re install the wheel and spin it and apply the brakes no matter how hard i push on the brake i can just barely still spin the wheel . SO i think is somthing up front like a combo / proportioning valve. The rear brakes just arnt getting enough pressure. Are there any web sites or does anyone know how to eliminate the abs or check to see if its working? Thanx to all that help and to all that have replyed

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
I don't know anything about ABS or proportioning valves so I'm going to suggest you check the brake lines. make sure nothing is crimped or anything. Maybe replace the rear lines completely?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Pulling the fuse to the abs should be all you need to do to turn off the abs.

Have a good look at the hole the rear wheel cylinders mount in. There is a real good chance the backing plates are real thin do to rust and are allowing the cylinders to rotate and wobble. When this happens they can actually push off to the side of the pads when you press hard.
I had this problem myself. After it gets real bad it will cause the cyl piston to crack at the end and the cyl will leak.

The other thing to try would be to

·
Registered
6 Posts
ive got an 89 s10 4x4 4.3 converted to a 305, with abs ihave the sametype of problem with my brakes not workin right,ive unplugged my abs mod at the master i was told that it would deleate the abs but back brakes still not there.my buds 894x4 blazer same problum i think i am going to by pass the abs valve in the line and run it to the proporsing valvue ithink it wood work i hopecus the valves look the same for other years.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
You might try replacing the rubber hose that goes from the frame to the axle. I have not noticed you checking it.

They have been known to colaspe internally. You can bleed the brakes OK but cannot get enough pressure for the brakes to actually work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts