S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 GMC Jimmy with an auto tranny. The dipstick and tube was rusted so bad that I had to soak it in wd-40 to get the dip stick out. The dipstick and tube are full of rust. The dip stick looks like it has been sitting out in a field for 10 years. The fluid is up to level, looks fine and smells fine. I figured if there was a bunch of water condensing out in the tube that it would get in the fluid and make it milky. The trans is shifting fine and working good. When I put the dipstick back in, you can feel it scrape-ing the rust all the way down the dip stick tube.

Have any of you experienced this problem. What do i do? Is there a vent tube that is clogged up?

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I remember right, I think there was a TSB on that problem from GM. The fix was to replace the tube and dipstick with an updated one.

·
96 S10 Pickup 4x4
104 Posts
I know that this thread is an old one but i just bought a 96 s10 and my trans dipstick is the same way the fluid smells fine and looks great but the dipstick looks like shit most of the way down. What should i do to go about getting it fixed??

·
Just another asshole
4,348 Posts
call the dealer... they have an updated tube and dipstick ... i do recommend tho, after you do this, change the fluid and filter!

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
yes, replace the tube and stick. then drop the pan, clean it out, and put it back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts