S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 with a 5.7 LS1. The intake is home made, and the way I had to run it, it comes within an inch of the radiator. Would I get any benefits out if wrapping the intake in gold tape or header wrap? I've been getting mixed signals online.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
Pics would be helpful.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
I don't know that it would make a big difference. Mine is the same, only going the other direction.

·
I turn.
2,588 Posts
Isolate the filter from engine bay heat, don't worry about the pipe. You've got hundreds of CFM going through that pipe - it won't have time to heat up.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
Another member did some studies on IATs and found there wasn't a lot of difference between isolated or not. This was on a truck that had the filter on the driver side where the factory air box was.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another member did some studies on IATs and found there wasn't a lot of difference between isolated or not. This was on a truck that had the filter on the driver side where the factory air box was.
That's good to know. I was kind of worried I was losing power due to the placement, but that all makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to take a hole saw and make a few holes in the rad support in front of the air filter to let some cool air in.
Mine also goes to the drivers side and after looking at the support with the headlights and grille in, there really isn't as much air space as you'd think there should be.

·
Old Fart
4,361 Posts
If you can flip it over to the driver's side where there is already an opening for cool air it will help as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts