S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 S10 headlamps go off randomly.

Changed the headlight switch and still did it. Changed the relay, still does it. What other areas could there be that I should be looking . (In fact with the new relay, it seems to have gotten worse)

Did a visual of the wires and did not see anything bad under the hood.
Read another post about a relay to the left of the brake pedal etc. Have not looked for it yet.

They go off as if I turned the switch myself, and back on. No flickering like a short or loose wire.

TIA.

Ed

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
739 Posts
check DRL sensor- in the right hand dash speaker grill

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
Could be as simple as corroded connectors at the bulbs. Also check the ground wires on the inside of the rad support on each side. Although these are supposed to be grounded thru the relays. Which eventually ground behind the left end of the dash. Look for a fat black wire screwed to the metal of the dash under it.
Do both go on and off at the same time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both go out at the same time. Had a new issue happen with them. They went out completely, no headlamps or DRL.

However, when the e-brake slams hard when releasing, they come on.

I wonder where the switch/connector that activates the headlamps when the e brake is released?

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you have tilt steering take the column cover off and check that wiring harness too, sometimes they get loose right there from the tilt pulling them away.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well the sensor for the headlamp activation when releasing the ebrake is on the back or side of the ebrake pedal assembly theres a plug & wire there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After checking every possible thing I could, I caved and took it to a shop. The one thing I could not find was the negative relays for the headlamp. thats what it was.. They changed it and they work fine....Said it was a major PITA to get to, but that fixed it..

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
Must be in that Body Relay Block above and behind the headlamp switch. You can only access it from below and they are a PITA to reach. That would explain why it worked sometimes related to how hard the e brake snaps out. It's directly above there and is likely jiggled when the e brake pops out hard.
Why they put the BRB in such a nasty place is beyond rational thinking.

·
Ex Chevy Hater
19 Posts
I wanted to chime in on this issue, as I read a million posts about it for a few weeks. I was having the same issue as so many others. Headlights both tested positive with multimeter or power probe. running lights were the only thing working for a while, then one day, no headlights at all. dash lights were always dim like it was the auto sensor.

It was that block under the dash. It was not difficult at all to get to. Remove the lower kick panel under your steering column, you'll see the block right away. remove the bolt from the center of it, wiggle it back and forth while pulling and it comes right out. The while block actually pushes up into a bunch of relays, so this is what you are separating it from when you pull it out.

chances are when you flip the block over you'll see the issue right away. I've attached a few photos of mine, as well as the wiring diagram that shows what relays are contained on that block. Part #8 on that is where the black wire connects to that was burned up on mine! anyone searching in the future should check this FIRST instead of buying switches, bulbs, sensors, and whatever else!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Rhotpursuit
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing