S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help ! I just bought a 2002 gmc Sonoma as a project fir my son , everything was going well until the first time I tried to drive at night , the lights are so dim you can hardly see , I’ve checked fuses and the such , tried to repair all the grounds, well tonight I decided to try to ground all four headlights with they’re own ground , but now one side is bright and the other doesn’t illuminate at all , if I disconnect the grounds on the passenger side then the drivers comes back on , but still dim ! Also I have the drls disabled right now but it’s the same with them , and all 4 headlights are on all the time , the dimmer switch doesn’t change anything ?? Any ideas ??

·
time to get cereal
4,912 Posts
Are the lenses yellowed/foggy? You can't just ground the headlamps, the circuit is more complicated than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need help ! I just bought a 2002 gmc Sonoma as a project fir my son , everything was going well until the first time I tried to drive at night , the lights are so dim you can hardly see , I’ve checked fuses and the such , tried to repair all the grounds, well tonight I decided to try to ground all four headlights with they’re own ground , but now one side is bright and the other doesn’t illuminate at all , if I disconnect the grounds on the passenger side then the drivers comes back on , but still dim ! Also I have the drls disabled right now but it’s the same with them , and all 4 headlights are on all the time , the dimmer switch doesn’t change anything ?? Any ideas ??
Are the bulbs new? A bulb that is over a year old looses about half of their brightness. Are your grounds clean and direct metal to metal contact? You might have a draw somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the lenses yellowed/foggy? You can't just ground the headlamps, the circuit is more complicated than that.
Lenses aren’t bad , but yes I guess your right , trying to ground the headlights only made one side bright and the other go off completely ! I have heard there is a ground relay for the lights under the dash on drivers side , going to check that also , thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the bulbs new? A bulb that is over a year old looses about half of their brightness. Are your grounds clean and direct metal to metal contact? You might have a draw somewhere.
I have cleaned all the grounds and made sure they are clean metal , tried bulbs out of another vehicle I had , no difference

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This could be your problem.
Tried with them on or off , with pushing the dome override three times , when the driving lights are on all the headlights illuminate , and the park lights and taillights are on also , going to check that ground relay under the dash today , thanks for the help

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
274 Posts
OK, I thought you'd done some rewiring to disable them.

When the headlight switch is in the "Off" or position, only the DRL's should be on, no parking lights, tail lights, or instrument lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pressed the dome button 3 times to turn the drls back on and only the headlights come on now , I think that was a delegate problem with the light sensor being tucked under the speaker grill, now that it’s exposed the drls seem to seem to work correctly and only illuminate the headlights , but it still illuminates all 4 headlights and they are still too dim ??!! Thanks for the ideas everybody

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
274 Posts
DRL's are supposed to be dimmer than the headlights. I think it's something like 70% or 80% of full power. Our '95 had the DRL "system" that used the sealed beam headlights. They looked like a headlight with a bad ground.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
1,301 Posts
I pressed the dome button 3 times to turn the drls back on and only the headlights come on now , I think that was a delegate problem with the light sensor being tucked under the speaker grill, now that it’s exposed the drls seem to seem to work correctly and only illuminate the headlights , but it still illuminates all 4 headlights and they are still too dim ??!! Thanks for the ideas everybody
Sounds like you have the wrong relays in the wrong spots. There are 2 special relays for the headlights that are 5 pin relays and they are ground circuit relays. Make sure these relays are first 5 pin type and second they are in the right positions.

Reactions: oldeerslayer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you have the wrong relays in the wrong spots. There are 2 special relays for the headlights that are 5 pin relays and they are ground circuit relays. Make sure these relays are first 5 pin type and second they are in the right positions.
Are these the ones in the under hood fuse box ? Thank you , these and the under dash ground fuse block are the next on the list tomorrow

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
1,301 Posts
Are these the ones in the under hood fuse box ? Thank you , these and the under dash ground fuse block are the next on the list tomorrow
They are in the engine bay.

Reactions: Anthonyott99

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DRL's are supposed to be dimmer than the headlights. I think it's something like 70% or 80% of full power. Our '95 had the DRL "system" that used the sealed beam headlights. They looked like a headlight with a bad ground.
That was one of my theories , that they where somehow stuck in drl mode but they are all 4 lit !!?? I will be back on it tomorrow and will post what I do next , the under dash ground fuse panel is next

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the continued help !! I will update tomorrow with my next steps ! Still so confused !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So new update , I realized along the way that the left side headlight fuse was burnt , replaced it and as soon as you turn the headlight switch on it pops the fuse immediately. Looked for loose or burnt wiring on the drivers side ( which I assume is left ) but haven’t found anything yet , but maybe this narrows things down . Could this be a switch problem ? Or is it a hot wire problem ? Thanks for the help

·
Been there Done it
10,897 Posts
Should be easy to find. If it pops as soon as you turn on the lights it's shorted to ground. The good news is there is only one wire coming out of that fuse. It goes from under the fuse box to the left low beam light. It is yellow and black. I'd start at the headlight and follow it back looking for where it's pinched or rubbed thru. It only goes a few feet.
You're lucky. Some of the other headlight wires run all over the place thru a couple relays and some DRL circuits. Not this one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should be easy to find. If it pops as soon as you turn on the lights it's shorted to ground. The good news is there is only one wire coming out of that fuse. It goes from under the fuse box to the left low beam light. It is yellow and black. I'd start at the headlight and follow it back looking for where it's pinched or rubbed thru. It only goes a few feet.
You're lucky. Some of the other headlight wires run all over the place thru a couple relays and some DRL circuits. Not this one.
Nice 👍, thank you 🙏, I will start with that today ! I hope that it will be that simple !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts