S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fix the upper headlights on my truck. I've had them rigged up for awhile, but I can't take how useless the lights are in the position they are and how God awful it looks anymore. I didn't notice it till I went to a junkyard, but my truck is missing those things that I circled in red in one of my pictures. Is there a way to replace the things or maybe a more elegant solution than what I've got going right now?

·
time to get cereal
3,398 Posts
Replacing the core support would be the least hacked way to fix it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On my S-10 there are plastic keepers that slide on them to hold the lights.
I also drilled hols in the metal just in front of the adjusting screw
Then I after the light were adjusted to what I wanted I screwed a screw down to hold the lights from shaking
When a vehicle is coming towards you, you think the lights are blinking when in fact they are shaking
Rex R. Bahr

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,107 Posts
large head rivets

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm trying to fix the upper headlights on my truck. I've had them rigged up for awhile, but I can't take how useless the lights are in the position they are and how God awful it looks anymore. I didn't notice it till I went to a junkyard, but my truck is missing those things that I circled in red in one of my pictures. Is there a way to replace the things or maybe a more elegant solution than what I've got going right now?
View attachment 342465
View attachment 342467

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suggest go to a GM salvage yard and get the plastic slides that slide down on them to hold the lights. Also drill a hole above the lights brackets so you can screw a screw down to hold the units solid.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Go to the dealer. They're part number
15022087. Should cost you about $0.75 each. I had to add them to my aftermarket core support, so buying a new core support may not work.

You'll also need a heavy duty rivet tool as it is a larger rivet shaft.

·
time to get cereal
3,398 Posts
Yea, when I said new core support I meant gently used from the junkyard.

·
Been there Done it
8,599 Posts
Agreed.
You don't want an aftermarket core support. Most don't fit well and a lot of times all the holes are in the wrong places. New genuine GM is terribly expensive.
Even CAPA certified are pricey. JY parts are usually genuine OEM and reasonably priced. And come with the little plastic clips needed. Unless you lose them in the weeds while pulling the support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
15022087. Should cost you about $0.75 each. I had to add them to my aftermarket core support, so buying a new core support may not work.

They are a plastic thing about an inch wide with a big hole to slip over the pin then just push in on the light and push the slide down

·
time to get cereal
3,398 Posts
The plastic thing isn't going to do much good without the rivets being there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Awesome. Would either of the rivet tools around $20 at the link work?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,620 Posts
Depends on the shank on the rivet. I'd get the rivets, then try them out at harbor freight. Between the two pictured...I'd get the Fastenpro.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:rolleyes: OK, I got my hands on the rivets. It looks like they require a 1/4" nosepiece for install. They're all out of the riveter that installs that size at my HF though.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,620 Posts
That is for rivnuts. Not sure it converts to regular rivets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Do you remember what rivet gun you got? I did see another one at HF but the nosepiece is parallel to the handles and the handles are LONG. Wouldn't be near enough clearance to use them.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual
96 Posts
The mandrel on the rivets can't be 1/4". What diameter is the mandrel and what is it made of?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts