S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new.

Now that's out of the way, sometimes when I brake or start to slow down, the headlights go dim for a second then come back. In fact, sometimes I'm just driving, and they flicker. Any ideas? :dunno:

No, I do not have a large stereo. I'm stock.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
sounds logical to me...i mean only time they ever really do that to me is when you turn on at night..the lights pop on as soon as the key is turned and they dim/flicker a bit when you turn the engine over....could help lead you to a larger overall problem...have the dealer or a mechanic check on your hamster maybe one is dyin on ya :-D

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not real sure what it might be. I just noticed last night, that if my hazards are on, and I brake, the hazards don't flash. Possibly related? Are these common gremlins, or am I just sucking on a lemon? :bowtie:

·
Registered
133 Posts
when i brake hard enough my headlights dim as well. it has to do with my ABS because it only happens on ice and when it does i also hear an odd electronic noise down by my feet in the cab. cant figure out why though.

·
ZR2 member
1,899 Posts
Pewter1 said:
Not real sure what it might be. I just noticed last night, that if my hazards are on, and I brake, the hazards don't flash. Possibly related? Are these common gremlins, or am I just sucking on a lemon? :bowtie:
Completely normal.That way if you are driving down the road with hazards on and you have to brake people know your slowing down.

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blackZR2 said:
Completely normal.That way if you are driving down the road with hazards on and you have to brake people know your slowing down.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. Thought I was dealing with some serious electronic bugs here. :p

·
Loves the boost.
145 Posts
hey... I have an '03 s-10 with under 7000 miles, and mine has done the dimming lights since the day I drove it home.... and so does my friend's bonneville, I believe it's just a newer GM regulator thing since it's pretty common.... however really annoying

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 03 s10 does the same thing so its not just you if you find a answer let me know would ya

·
Registered
603 Posts
Pewter1 - your problem has been on the forum before. You might try a search, but I don't remember ever seeing what the fix was. Oftentimes we never what the final solution was for a particular problem. Anyway, I agree with the loose ground....

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CenTex said:
Pewter1 - your problem has been on the forum before. You might try a search, but I don't remember ever seeing what the fix was. Oftentimes we never what the final solution was for a particular problem. Anyway, I agree with the loose ground....
Yeah, I searched, and read alot, but learned little. I guess as long as I'm not the only one, and it doesn't get worse, then I'm cool.
Sucks though.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Check dee grounds for your truck. Make sure they are solid and not coming loose or anything.

The only time I've ever noticed this, is with a large stereo, so I cant really help.....

Could try upgrading the "3 magic wires" under the hood......
Alt + to Battery +
Battery - to engine
Battery - to chassis

They look kinda flimsy, like 8-10ga. Maybe try 4ga or bigger. Dont replace, just add on.

*shrugs* :(

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
My headlights dim quite a bit, but I think its because of the amp.

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually think its getting worse. If the truck is in neutral, and the rpms fall low, it flickers pretty steadily. This sucks. :censor:

:bowtie:

·
Loves the boost.
145 Posts
I think mine's getting worse too... now when the truck is cold and i start it, it take about 10 seconds for the charging system to start working as the volt gauge sits at about 11 volts... very weird

1 - 16 of 16 Posts